Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

1.6-million-year-old mammoth DNA uncovers lineage

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
When Love Dalén first began studying ancient DNA as a Ph.D. student back in 2002, one of his colleagues suggested working on lemmings, the tiny arctic rodents and '90s video game icons. "Everyone is doing mammoths," she told Dalén, "it's very competitive." The hulking, ancient proboscideans have captured the imagination of the public and scientists for years -- and when an opportunity arose for Dalén to study the famous woolly mammoth, he couldn't resist. He wanted to understand why the creatures went extinct.

But on Wednesday, Dalén and 21 other scientists looked at the other end of the woolly mammoth's timeline: its origin. In a history-making paper, published in the journal Nature, the team announce their retrieval of DNA from mammoth specimens over a million years old -- demolishing the record for the oldest ancient DNA ever sequenced by almost 900,000 years.

"It's an amazing paper," says Sally Wasef, an ancient DNA researcher at Griffith University in Australia. She isn't affiliated with the research.

The breakthroughs are twofold. First, the team was able to isolate short, degraded DNA fragments from teeth samples and obtain the genetic code via recent improvements in sequencing and data analysis techniques.

To sequence the ancient DNA, the team examined mammoth molars from three different mammoths unearthed in the Siberian permafrost a few decades ago. "We knew that some of these teeth were from the earliest woolly mammoths," says Dalén. He says the team "got small pieces of the roots from these teeth," which usually weigh a few kilograms, from their collaborators in Russia for study. For a megaannum, the molars were protected from degradation thanks to the freezing cold temperatures present at Siberia's high latitudes.

The DNA sequence also led to the second breakthrough: The team was able to assess mammoth evolution and speciation over a million years ago using the three samples. Krestovka's data pointed to an entirely new lineage of mammoth, previously unknown to science. This was something of a surprise for the team.

Both breakthroughs will contribute to furthering paleogenomics, the study of ancient DNA from extinct species.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/1-6-million-year-old-mammoth-dna-uncovers-lineage-we-never-knew-existed/

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00
Amazing. I would love to see one alive. I used to watch documentaries about how they were trying to clone a mammoth from their DNA and I watched documentaries where they found a few that mummified in the ice!

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
It's going to be a long time before anything of that sort is sanctioned. I don't think anyone would be okay with an extinct species being revived or cloned because unless they have the complete genome set, they're going to have to fill the gaps with something else.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00
It's going to be a long time before anything of that sort is sanctioned.
If they clone an extinct species, they can do it legally in South Korea. They already clone dogs and everything else there and then sell it to people. Cost a lot of money.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
I'm referring to the US. Sure, I'm sure if someone had the money and wanted it done, I guess that's where they should go to have it done then.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Amazing. I would love to see one alive. I used to watch documentaries about how they were trying to clone a mammoth from their DNA and I watched documentaries where they found a few that mummified in the ice!
I was coming into this thread to say the same thing. It would be amazing to see one alive especially to see how massive they really were. I know Jurrasic Park was a good example of why not to do things like this but I would love for something like that to be real with more extinct animals

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00
I was coming into this thread to say the same thing. It would be amazing to see one alive especially to see how massive they really were. I know Jurrasic Park was a good example of why not to do things like this but I would love for something like that to be real with more extinct animals

They've been trying to find a living cell on the bodies and dead mammoth corpses they find so they can impregnate an African Elephant with it. So far they haven't found anything. Even if they did find one, they'd have to replicate it so they have plenty of material to work with.