Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

$15 minimum wage

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$725
Winbux
$0.00
I think everyone deserves to make a living in life and support their families.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I think everyone deserves to make a living in life and support their families.

I do too but here's the down side.

People want $15/hour minimum wage because they claim they can't afford anything. But everything is going to go up again because they have to up the minimum wage to $15/hour for all of their employees. So it just becomes an endless cycle.

Prices are too high.....
Up minimum wage.....
Prices go up again......
Ask again for the minimum wage to go up.....

This is where we're at with minimum wage. Every company is going to up their prices every time we up minimum wage. So it feels like we aren't getting anywhere, in my opinion. Plus, companies are going to hire fewer people which means you're going to be forced to do more work at your job to compensate for that.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
$15 in Iowa isn't the same as $15 in New York, or whatever NY's version of $15 is. If you work, the place should pay a liveable wage, depending on the job. Such as fast food holds no extreme value compared to a grocery store, so shouldn't have to pay as much but shouldn't pay terribly either.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
$15/hour is minimum wage factored for inflation (almost). The original minimum wage laws called for it to include productivity gains as well, putting it at $21-26/per hour. It was meant to support families, not just single people. Companies are moving to $15/hour to prevent a strong push for $21 or higher. $15/hour is not a livable wage in most of the country, much less in any sort of bigger city area. While 15/hour is a decent start, it is by no means a good finish, but if 15/hour is enacted, it won't move for years. I wouldn't support it. Its a half measure to avoid a good solution.

Minimum wage moved with inflation and productivity gains until the early 60's. This was the most prosperous time in the US. Companies grow profitably based on American consumers because even bottom end, minimum wage earners could afford to live comfortably.

I know there are economists that will say "but its more complex than that" and will point out equations showing this will hurt mom and pops in communities of 11,880 to 14,978 and is therefore bad. The main people that will get hurt are the larger investors that live off their investments because yes, profits will drop and dividends will drop. CEOs will have to fight to justify multi million dollar compensation packages.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
In the first job that I had or well, my first job that I was in back 10 years ago or more that I was getting $15 a day for three hours of work a day. THat's just like $80 a week. LAsted six months and moved on. UK workers do not even get that hourly, it's like $12 or maybe a little more if you have a big roll.

If you have more than $25/h thereafter five years they will retire and keep on going on holidays as they have so much money :p

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Please no. No more inflation! we're just holding the situation and with the US rising their stuff we will see ourselves in distress in no time, i know you like having stuff but think about third world countries! :(

ZandraJoi

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Website
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
Hubux
$1,990
Winbux
$0.00
I agree with some of what's said here. The more they up it, the more everything else is upped. Then there's people who have worked at their same job for 15, 20+ years. Entry level positions are making almost as much as they are making!
$15 here in our rural hometown will go farther than in bigger cities. The number is the same but the amount is different depending on where you go, live, work, etc.