Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

• Welcome to the Groups feature Guest! Official and user groups allow you to take part in discussions and events related to the interests and hobbies of the Discussion Hub Community. For more information, read our Groups Information Megathread post.

Animanga

Official DH's Anime/Manga appreciation Club. All of Japanese culture is welcome as well!

Quick Overview

Category
User Groups
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Anime Bullying

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I think we can all agree that if you said you liked anime a little while ago, you might have ended up inside a locker or with your head down the toilet ? . But that seems to have changed a lot recently with anime becoming a bit more "mainstream" and popular.

Did anyone here get bullied or made fun of for liking anime?

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I think we can all agree that if you said you liked anime a little while ago, you might have ended up inside a locker or with your head down the toilet ? . But that seems to have changed a lot recently with anime becoming a bit more "mainstream" and popular.

Did anyone here get bullied or made fun of for liking anime?
Yeah, during my high school days 12 years ago, being an anime otaku was the most virginal thing you could like, and got even worse when i started cosplaying. But i always had a strong personality and didn't care about what others may think about me. I was never a part or a cogwheel in society's gear! :D

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
I never got heat for it from anyone. All of my friends liked certain shows and some of the girls I knew admitted that they watched Dragon Ball Z sometimes. Nope, never got trouble from anyone.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
In school no one really mentioned it or tried targeting me for my interest in anime. But then again, I didn’t exactly run around screaming it. Or wear anime merch.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
In school no one really mentioned it or tried targeting me for my interest in anime. But then again, I didn’t exactly run around screaming it. Or wear anime merch.
Obviously i never did that either, but people still somehow discovered it.

I never cared about it though, i always felt that when i grew up i'd still be into it.. and i wasn't wrong :p

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Yeah, I feel like that has changed quite a bit too though. A few years ago, wearing anime merch would have seen you beaten up. But I see pictures of kids wearing hentai stuff now without any worry ?

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
Yeah, I feel like that has changed quite a bit too though. A few years ago, wearing anime merch would have seen you beaten up. But I see pictures of kids wearing hentai stuff now without any worry ?
Yeah, society changed a bit in that part, but i feel that there's lots of hypocrisy behind, i get called weeb at online games by people that i know they're too :p

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I think weeb and weeabo are just randomly used by people now. I don't think people even know what the words mean when they use it against others.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I think weeb and weeabo are just randomly used by people now. I don't think people even know what the words mean when they use it against others.
Yeah, those are common slurs for people that like anime no matter how involved they're in the japanese culture. I think they use the weeb word because sounds more insulting than just "otaku".

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Just checked the definition of otaku on urban dictionary and I think it's slightly better than being called a web or weeaboo lol

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
Just checked the definition of otaku on urban dictionary and I think it's slightly better than being called a web or weeaboo lol
Ye, those are used for calling out people that "will" to be japanese just because they like anime/manga, it's depressing how low can someone go for a few minutes of attention.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I kept to myself on my anime interests, there was a group of people who enjoyed toonami and that was about it really.
That was the best, i remember watching Gundam Wing, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Love Hina and Trigun if i don't remember wrong.. gosh i miss those days!

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I’m not a fan but I knew people that was in to it and have nothing against it.
:rammusOK: that's the spirit, you know i was always a heavy metal kid and most of my mates were into reggaeton or average popular music and learned to be respectful.. i didn't want them to do the same judging over my tastes.

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
:rammusOK: that's the spirit, you know i was always a heavy metal kid and most of my mates were into reggaeton or average popular music and learned to be respectful.. i didn't want them to do the same judging over my tastes.
same here I love heavy metal, metalcore, etc.. but we are all different so I try to be as respectful as possible.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I feel like your music taste is a lot more acceptable now. With so many different artists dabbling in different genres, it's hard to judge anyone for their taste. There are probably still a few judgy people but like anime, it's become a lot more acceptable to like different music.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I feel like your music taste is a lot more acceptable now. With so many different artists dabbling in different genres, it's hard to judge anyone for their taste. There are probably still a few judgy people but like anime, it's become a lot more acceptable to like different music.
I forgot to mention that metalheads are also elitists and won't accept anime as a "normal" hobby, there are lots of extreme minded people in the death metal scene.