Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Anyone loves Etsy?

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,346
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
My daughter is on Etsy and sells Jesmonite items as well as clay dried jewelry. She also sets up at her city's craft fairs in the park and gets people to look at her shop by handing out her business cards when they come by her table. Even better when they buy and are given a coupon to buy another item at her Etsy shop for a discount.

Are the fees for Etsy really high?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Are the fees for Etsy really high?
I read this and have included the source:

Etsy fees are too high. They took $2.30 from a $10 sale. As a crafter, I not only need to be creative in my craft but also in finding ways to maximize my profits by finding more affordable bottles, shipping materials, etc. Taking almost a quarter of a sale on a $10 item is gouging.

Source

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,346
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday

Etsy fees are too high. They took $2.30 from a $10 sale. As a crafter, I not only need to be creative in my craft but also in finding ways to maximize my profits by finding more affordable bottles, shipping materials, etc. Taking almost a quarter of a sale on a $10 item is gouging.

Source

Holy cow that's outrageous! I had no idea. I thought it would be similar to ebay. I used to sell on ebay when it was younger and offered portraits of pets and people. I offered really cheap prices just to get customers and a big reputation as well as a better portfolio. By the time I was able to raise my prices, other artists caught on and were offering their art at low prices too. The shipping was costly so I didn't make minimum wage even and wasn't worth it in the end.

I think Etsy now is the same way. You'll use it to get your name out there or get a big reputation but to make money, you have to charge a lot more and hope for the best.

Thanks for providing that info!

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
It's pretty great for home made stuff. I don't use it often but I did get my face masks from them when they were mandatory in the UK during the pandemic.

altair

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$926
Winbux
$0.00

Source
That is outrageous.
Thanks for the info.
---
I am familiar with Etsy solely because my sister is an amazing artist and she started one with a couple of her friends. She does stickers, her does good paintings and the other natural homemade stuff. Cute items and overall a great store. Not much sells except for people they know in real life.
I have no interest in selling with Etsy or anything to do with Etsy.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah it's pretty good, I've gotten loads of Legend of Zelda trinkets and nice wool jumpers etc off of there. Not used it in a good few years now though.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I have never ordered from Etsy, however, I have friends who use it to sell their creations.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I have used Etsy for buying items and whatnot, mostly emotes or just interesting things that you can't get anywhere else as most are made from hand. I have not sold/sell anything from there. At times I forget what I got or no idea if I have two accounts :p

Nova

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$186
Winbux
$0.00
I have purchased a lot of things on Etsy. And for the people who like something creative, the place is a goldmine of many small and big projects too. So in that context it would be reasonable to make use of the etsy as well. I realized that having such projects is a good thing for those who like to buy art items.

Nomad

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,245
Winbux
$0.00
I have not bought anything on Etsy, however, I once tried selling on Etsy. I could not sell any product, therefore, I eventually forgot about the site. These days I am thinking to go back to the site again.

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,460
Winbux
$0.00
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
I do love it personally for all my jewelry requirements. There's lots and lots of styles and jewelry to choose from. How about you? Have you ever used their site for jewelry purchases?
I've sold on Esty. A home made tobacco pipe. :) Never bought anything tho.

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
My wife has bought a few car decals from Etsy before, it's a great place for those who are talented and want to earn some extra money. Since everything is hand made you'll get stuff that you can't get anywhere else.