Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Apple AirTag Abuse

tdbnz

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,646
Winbux
$0.20
Hey Everyone

As Most people aware apple has Apple Airtags a little gadget useful for finding lost things

Well recently Car Thieves have got smarter and the have been deploying these on cars and they have been able to track them
and see were they go and eventually steal high profile cars

very scary indeed Apple has acknowledge this and has created android apps so users can scan the area they
in to see if any tags are near by them it is very useful to see if you are being tracked by this devices eg on your car etc

More about the Apple AirTag Abuse can be heard on -> Twit TV Network

Thomas

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
That's scary. I can't believe they're willing to spend that much to try to pull off a scheme/crime. As far as I know those air tags aren't cheap, they're like $30 each right?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Scary stuff and I'm glad I don't have these tags.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
Scary stuff and I'm glad I don't have these tags.
The stalkers aren’t using your tags to steal your car, they’re placing their own tags on your car to steal them.

That's scary. I can't believe they're willing to spend that much to try to pull off a scheme/crime. As far as I know those air tags aren't cheap, they're like $30 each right?

Let's be honest here, $30 isn't really that much, especially when it comes to trying to steal stuff.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
The stalkers aren’t using your tags to steal your car, they’re placing their own tags on your car to steal them.
I don't care whose tags they're using, it's still scary that this can happen and I'm still glad I don't have tags.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
I don't care whose tags they're using, it's still scary that this can happen and I'm still glad I don't have tags.
I don’t know what’s to be glad about you not owning them when the whole point is that someone else is using their own device to steal cars regardless of your opinion.

You’re essentially going “I’m glad I don’t own a gun so I can’t get shot” because you heard someone got shot.

Cam

The Chosen One
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
forumpromotion.net
Hubux
$848
Winbux
$81.00
I Am The Danger!
My uncle was concerned about the activities of my cousin (his son), so he put one of these things in his car to figure out where he was going. It is an invasion of privacy, and you can easily see where this could be a disaster. We're talking about non-violent crimes like stealing cars, but this could be used with human trafficking, sex trafficking, etc.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
My uncle was concerned about the activities of my cousin (his son), so he put one of these things in his car to figure out where he was going. It is an invasion of privacy, and you can easily see where this could be a disaster. We're talking about non-violent crimes like stealing cars, but this could be used with human trafficking, sex trafficking, etc.
Tbh parents have been able to do that on phones for several years now. People got upset for 5 mins and forgot about it.

Cam

The Chosen One
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
forumpromotion.net
Hubux
$848
Winbux
$81.00
I Am The Danger!
Tbh parents have been able to do that on phones for several years now. People got upset for 5 mins and forgot about it.

That's not the same thing. I have Find My Friends on my iPhone, so that I can see where my parents are. It's not a creepy stalker thing. It makes life easier when we're traveling or whatever. That feature is something that we both know about. That we can both disable. I'm not upset about that at all.

Someone putting an AirTag in your car without your knowledge isn't the same thing at all. That's stalking.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
That's not the same thing. I have Find My Friends on my iPhone, so that I can see where my parents are. It's not a creepy stalker thing. It makes life easier when we're traveling or whatever. That feature is something that we both know about. That we can both disable. I'm not upset about that at all.

Someone putting an AirTag in your car without your knowledge isn't the same thing at all. That's stalking.
You complained about your uncle giving his kid an AirTag on his keys to see where his son is and that’s a violation of privacy. You using “Find My Friends” on your parents to know where they are is totally acceptable. Your cousin could have thrown the AirTags in the trash, in this situation, like your parents can disable find my friends.

This is also a thing:

This is what I was talking about earlier. You can definitely do it without your kids’ knowledge. Which is why people cried about it for about 5 mins and they promptly forgot about it to cry about the next hip thing.

Tbh people can push that kind of software onto your phone without your knowledge. It’s been a thing for almost 20 years.

Last edited:

Lee

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,040
Winbux
$0.00
You complained about your uncle giving his kid an AirTag on his keys to see where his son is and that’s a violation of privacy. You using “Find My Friends” on your parents to know where they are is totally acceptable. Your cousin could have thrown the AirTags in the trash, in this situation, like your parents can disable find my friends.

Tbh people can push that kind of software onto your phone without your knowledge. It’s been a thing for almost 20 years.
No, he said his uncle hid an airtag in his car. Which is an invasion of privacy and clearly stalking. Stop being obtuse.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
No, he said his uncle hid an airtag in his car. Which is an invasion of privacy and clearly stalking. Stop being obtuse.
I misread it as keys, my bad.

My point I’ve been reiterating, is that they’ve had stuff like this for years and people complain about it for 5 mins. Then they forget about it and go complain about the next big thing.

The whole “we need to be concerned about this” is clearly not a concern if it gets forgotten. There’s all kinds of stuff on your phone that each one individually got complained about and had articles written over. The reason why companies left that all there is because the public forgot about it.