Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Are forum websites dying or is there

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
Hello!
So I’ve noticed because of the rise of social media, Forum sites are taking longer to get off the ground, I know someone that started a new social network that claims to have 15K active members while sites like mine are stuck on
0-9

I will not give up because I prefer forums but what’s everyone’s opinion about this?

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
No. Because gaming corporations like Microsoft, Sony, and Anet still use forums for customer service and those forums are very active despite social media still being a thing.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
A forum is the most efficient way to share knowledge and keep it anon for most people. What i think about social media is that peeps want to somehow "control" their own space, they don't want to be ruled by moderators (even though there's shadow ban.. etc.).

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
A forum is the most efficient way to share knowledge and keep it anon for most people. What i think about social media is that peeps want to somehow "control" their own space, they don't want to be ruled by moderators (even though there's shadow ban.. etc.).
A family member told me that people on Facebook don’t wanna be ruled with what they say but the truth is Facebook is getting better with that they just think they haven’t.

No. Because gaming corporations like Microsoft, Sony, and Anet still use forums for customer service and those forums are very active despite social media still being a thing.
Not to mention IGN or Twitter forums

guess I’m wrong and growing a community takes time.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
Well, forums are not dead, it's just a matter of people's attention span. One thing everyone forgets about forums is that forums are documented, you can come back to a discussion after some time it will still be there. But on social media, it's going to be very hard to find an old discussion. Social media was meant for fast-paced discussions.

Yes getting members for your forum is not as easy as it used to be, but in the end, if you offer people something they really need, they will come eventually.

Think about it, if forums are dead so should forum software companies like XenForo, Invision Power and vBulletin should be ending businesses too right?

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
Part of it depends on the niche` on the forum and part of it depends on the dedication of the owner/staff that work on it.
I agree with @JennyorAlice it's all up to the owner and staff. If they put in the effort, the members will follow.

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
Well, forums are not dead, it's just a matter of people's attention span. One thing everyone forgets about forums is that forums are documented, you can come back to a discussion after some time it will still be there. But on social media, it's going to be very hard to find an old discussion. Social media was meant for fast-paced discussions.

Yes getting members for your forum is not as easy as it used to be, but in the end, if you offer people something they really need, they will come eventually.

Think about it, if forums are dead so should forum software companies like XenForo, Invision Power and vBulletin should be ending businesses too right?
That’s a point, the developers of Xenforo have already said they’re making a good enough profit to continue.

but yes dedication is another thing because nothing comes easy.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
I was trying to find some online statistics on how many of the top 1 Million sites are forums, but I wasn't able to find it ?

But I did find this interesting fact about XenForo.

This was from Cookie Search Engine.

Kudos to my fellow XenForo users! ;)

Screenshot 2021-09-26 101742.png

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
I was trying to find some online statistics on how many of the top 1 Million sites are forums, but I wasn't able to find it ?

But I did find this interesting fact about XenForo.

This was from Cookie Search Engine.

Kudos to my fellow XenForo users! ;)

View attachment 371
V bulletin use to be a big thing back in 2008 but seems like Xenforo has taken over which is amazing because I love Xenforo and use it on my own site.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
V bulletin use to be a big thing back in 2008 but seems like Xenforo has taken over which is amazing because I love Xenforo and use it on my own site.
Yeah, vBulletin screwed up with vB 5 to be honest. XenForo really proved itself and the developer Kier who used to work for vBulletin really was onto something. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I run 2 XenForo sites too, it's a pretty amazing piece of software.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
They are definitely not as popular as they used to be but I wouldn't say that they are "dying". Social media sites did take away some of the activity but I always like to say that they are completely different things. With forums, there is more of a personal connection and you get to discuss certain topics more thoroughly.

I would love to find out more about the social networking site with 15k members already. It's not exactly easy to just start a new social network these days.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
They are definitely not as popular as they used to be but I wouldn't say that they are "dying". Social media sites did take away some of the activity but I always like to say that they are completely different things. With forums, there is more of a personal connection and you get to discuss certain topics more thoroughly.

I would love to find out more about the social networking site with 15k members already. It's not exactly easy to just start a new social network these days.
Which social network is that? Social networking sites boost in members since everyone has FOMO (Fear of missing out) so they just register to keep an account in case the platform blows up.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Not sure, @Fait, do you mind sharing the name of the social network you mentioned?

I think that's not always effective though. A lot of people register but may end up not using the site much unless it's extremely active.

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
Not sure, @Fait, do you mind sharing the name of the social network you mentioned?

I think that's not always effective though. A lot of people register but may end up not using the site much unless it's extremely active.
StrimSocial they called it.

and that’s the issue they want an active forum but they need to be active in order for the forum to be that :(

armintd

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I don't think so,forums are still great for sharing a knowledge and helping each other.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
I don't think so,forums are still great for sharing a knowledge and helping each other.
It is, and I think it will always be, but the audience for forums are shying away that what most forum owners struggle with, finding the audience to create that conversational environment.

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
It is, and I think it will always be, but the audience for forums are shying away that what most forum owners struggle with, finding the audience to create that conversational environment.
pretty sad that people are giving Zuckerberg all the attention while letting us small sites die.

Facebook isn't even that good it's just easy to brainwash people and the timing from MySpace being unstable at the time.