Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Are restaurants over priced?

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
In my opinion no in general when it comes to the food. A lot of the markup comes from drinks or sides but they have to make the profit somewhere. I don't mind prices at the restaurant - I feel like I'm paying for the service, convenience, and experience.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
IMO, yes but you are paying for the convenience, the work it took and the cost of the meal. Not just the food.

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
Food is not overpriced in most cases in my opinion, you are paying for the place, the kitchen power, etc., the ingredients, skill and time of the chef, etc.

Drinks on the other hand, especially wine are usually massively overpriced, they often add a huge markup of 100's of percent, and I don't see that cost can be justified.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,342
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
$2.50 for a glass of pop that's mostly filled with ice cubes is definitely overpriced.

$7.00 for a piece of cake for dessert is definitely overpriced.

I think for some foods at a restaurant that they take a hit and others they purposely overprice it to try to even it out so they still make a profit and can pay their workers.

Kyng

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,256
Winbux
$0.00
In my opinion no in general when it comes to the food. A lot of the markup comes from drinks or sides but they have to make the profit somewhere. I don't mind prices at the restaurant - I feel like I'm paying for the service, convenience, and experience.
Yeah, pretty much this.

A few years ago, one of my friends argued that restaurants were grossly overpriced, and he could make the same quality of food for much cheaper by cooking it at home. Which he could, but:

1) We didn't get any of the 'restaurant' atmosphere that I liked;
2) We had to decide what to eat in advance (the danger being that, on the day, I might feel like something completely different);
3) We were restricted to just having dishes that he knew how to cook;
4) Worst of all, it meant all four of us had to have the same dish. No more picking your favourite thing to eat: it had to be something that we could all agree on. And that was tricky, since we all liked different things (for example: they liked meaty things that I didn't particularly like, while I liked spicy things that they didn't particularly like). So we just ended up with something boring, that we would all eat, but that nobody was excited about eating.

The lesson from that experiment was clear. We wanted high quality, high convenience, and a low price - but we couldn't have all three at once. We had to pick two.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
The lesson from that experiment was clear. We wanted high quality, high convenience, and a low price - but we couldn't have all three at once. We had to pick two.
You made excellent points and I never thought of it that way. Thank you for the post!

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
It's just like car maintenance, it would be cheaper to do it yourself but sometimes it's faster and more convenient to take it to the shop.

You know what is overpriced... food at amusement parks like Six Flags!

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
You know what is overpriced... food at amusement parks
Agreed and it's because they know you will buy it. Most if not all theme parks mandate that you can't bring outside food and beverages into the park. They can mark up the prices so high because they know most people would buy it anyway because it's convenient, as opposed to leaving the park to eat and then come back having to wait in long lines in the heat.

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
Agreed and it's because they know you will buy it. Most if not all theme parks mandate that you can't bring outside food and beverages into the park. They can mark up the prices so high because they know most people would buy it anyway because it's convenient, as opposed to leaving the park to eat and then come back having to wait in long lines in the heat.
Exactly, the same thing goes for stadiums and concert venues as well.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Exactly, the same thing goes for stadiums and concert venues as well.
I once went to a baseball game and got hungry so I finally decided to just pay the $15 for a hot dog but when I went to purchase they were all sold out! Had to settle for a bag of chips.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
I once went to a baseball game and got hungry so I finally decided to just pay the $15 for a hot dog but when I went to purchase they were all sold out!
2 Fun Facts about major league stadiums (with prices):

1. An estimated 14.6 million beers (about 1.2 million gallons) are sold at major league stadiums every year. That’s enough to fill 1.7 Olympic-size swimming pools.

2. An estimated 22 million hot dogs are sold yearly at major league ballparks. Lined up from end-to-end, that’s 3,100 miles, or about the distance from Boston to San Francisco.