Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Are you protected behind a firewall and a VPN?

Jay™

Former Community Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Website
chatbanter.com
Hubux
$2,400
Winbux
$1.00
A firewall acts as a digital barrier that blocks unauthorized access to your computers and devices, which is a must these days (and has been for some time now). It’s often included with comprehensive security software (one more reason why having comprehensive security software is far superior to having “just” antivirus).

A virtual private network (VPN) is software that creates a secure connection over the internet, so you can safely connect from anywhere. You may want to use it at home when you’re looking for extra protection while banking or handling finances. And you’ll most certainly want to use it when logged into public Wi-Fi at places like airports, hotels, and cafes because so-called “free Wi-Fi” is often unsecured, making it easier for hackers to access your device or the information you’re sending and receiving.

For me I'm always behind a firewall and connected to a VPN 24/7
How about you?

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I have both a firewall and a VPN, well worth the security! I don't use the VPN 24/7, but I do make use of it when needed.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I used to just connect now and then however I leave all of my computers on it all the time.
I have it set as well where the IP changes in 24 hours.
Reasonable precautions, for sure, I just hate that VPN routing impacts your performance so much.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
It all depends on what your doing, for me just browsing and making a few posts it's ok, if I'm doing file transfers and stuff I will turn it off.
yeah, absolutely! Anything important, working on a site, financial transactions, etc., those are all behind VPNs.

Grungie

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,451
Winbux
$0.00
I use this stuff at work, and know what they do, so they’re unnecessary in my home life. I only use the VPN for accessing geo restricted content. Also, a lot of people using this stuff don’t actually know what they do, and continue with unsafe practices making these pointless.

Using a VPN on your home network for credit card payments is kind of pointless when most sites that take payments use SSL (read up on that), and it really just masks your IP address from your ISP, who already has your payment info anyway… Sure it helps with man in the middle attacks… on public Wi-Fi. If someone’s doing that at your house, you need to fix your router configs.

Also firewalls are built into your OS and do what they’re supposed to do, so unless you buy a physical firewall, you’re wasting either money and/or space on your computer. You also need to know how to properly configure it, because it does nothing without a configuration. Especially since it’s already on your computer anyway

Scott

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,043
Winbux
$0.00
I have been making use of firewall from day one because I know how good it is when it comes to security. It's 100% worth it. As for VPN, I have it but I hardly make use of it because I feel they seem to leak one's data at some point.