Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Backups of your data

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Do you keep backups of your data?

If so, how and how often?

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I back up all my data using a 1TB external hard drive.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00
No. I don't download anything and keep it on file. I've never felt the need. Although it probably wouldn't hurt.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
I don't backup everything but there are some important things like my DJ folder which I keep on my PC, a USB and Dropbox. Certain configs for my Linux install, web site and NS2 server i have repos for on github too.

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Do you keep backups of your data?
Hecka yes! Trying to do this less than monthly personally and my website hosting instrafacture and my website hosting clients are backed up automatically on the daily at the very least.

If so, how and how often?
Website hosting clients and relevant data are trucked away to a VM provider where it and the data are stored 3 ways. Safe to say that it's very unlikely that these backups will ever gets destroyed. (y)

Additionally I get an email every time it happened, it's time it took and quantity of accounts. Just to make sure everything is going as planned at all times.

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
I have a QNAP NAS on my home network which back's stuff up during the day.
Good start indeed, remember though if it not solely used as a offsite backup medium and/or it's keeping important information it's Single Point of Failure (SPOF) even if it "RAIDed".

I would therefore still back up the devices in other mean(s) depending on your needs and if so possibly consider remote from your house. Even a tool shed or a garage (even if it remotely attached) can helps serve as a safe harbor against localized fires/floods for example.

Other than a cloud provider (either for raw storage on a VM or actual shared storage) you could also/instead use an existing storage contract you have or just get one from U-Haul or whatnot as a "Dooms' Day" cache of some sort. Say if you house is flatten then you could have physical as well as digital "back ups" or spares of (like portable HVAC gears, generator, etc).

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I have a QNAP NAS on my home network which back's stuff up during the day.
That's one so call not the cheap way. I mean the best way to go about it yeah. Worth the while in that case. I was looking at NAS years ago, many years ago ad it was around $800 if not more, gave up looking.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,391
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I'm really bad about making back ups! I recently uploaded a bunch of data to the cloud because I was given a huge amount of storage which I think was a glitch but I took advantage of it. I don't even know if I finished adding all the important things I wanted.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I keep thinking that I should back up my files (especially my work computer) I know I can easily backup my files on my personal macbook via the cloud. Any recommendations for a Windows computer?