Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Bad Moderators

Techno

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,048
Winbux
$0.00
Anyone have experience dealing with bad moderators? I've never really had it on forums but Discord had some real stinkers for sure.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
Not on the one I ran, but other forums I've been on had some bad moderators.

On really large forums, you run into mods who go on power trips. One mod basically ran off a ton of users he didn't like, then ended up getting ran off the forum himself. He discovered Tumblr and became an SJW, but then people found out that he was using that to cover up his own racist beliefs, so he was just a massive hypocrite.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00
Only on Reddit. It was a subreddit forum. It was over a difference of opinion. He banned me and gave me some pretty stupid reasons why. I decided to delete my account and I haven't gone on Reddit to socialize since it happened. I'll occasionally look at threads every now and then.

sariki

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$960
Winbux
$0.00
I really feel that a bad mod can ruin amazing forums. In my 20+ years of being on forums/admin/mod etc I have run into a few. in my experience though you have to take their mod powers away which they don't really end up liking so you have to either get rid of them or have a very candid conversation with them.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
There was one on a now defunct forum who would argue and delete posts of members he didn't like ( I was one of them ). Despite being reported to Admin several times, Admin did nothing to stop this mod. Myself and several other members wound up leaving that forum.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Yeah, we have this guy that goes under a film name on this site that I'm trying to get rid of. Awful mod. Only joking @Terminated :LOL:

I've actually been very lucky with my sites where I've had very good moderators. We tend to get along quite well and most are very active on the sites.

I have been on a few forums where the mods have been dicks and it does put you off unfortunately.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00
What inspired you to pick that username?
I wouldn't call it inspired. It's just something I gravitated towards. I think one can agree that from a person's perspective on how life can become really difficult, very much in the way a storm gets bad.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
Nice to freshly join a forum, and within one week I run into a very unprofessional and rude moderator. I committed the cardinal sin of telling them they were wrong on a topic. An innocent question devolved into a debate, and it's apparently okay for the mod to cite Wikipedia, but when I use the exact same Wiki article they cited (and didn't read), I get insulted and called a liar and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Remember folks, Wikipedia is only credible if it supports your opinion, and it's completly bogus if it doesn't. Even if it's the same article.

It's a great sign of the future experience there if that quickly I can run across a moderator that acts like that. "I'm right no matter what, and I don't have to prove it. No matter what you show me, you're wrong." (not a real quote)

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Nice to freshly join a forum, and within one week I run into a very unprofessional and rude moderator. I committed the cardinal sin of telling them they were wrong on a topic. An innocent question devolved into a debate, and it's apparently okay for the mod to cite Wikipedia, but when I use the exact same Wiki article they cited (and didn't read), I get insulted and called a liar and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Remember folks, Wikipedia is only credible if it supports your opinion, and it's completly bogus if it doesn't. Even if it's the same article.

It's a great sign of the future experience there if that quickly I can run across a moderator that acts like that. "I'm right no matter what, and I don't have to prove it. No matter what you show me, you're wrong." (not a real quote)
Was it a forum that is advertised on FP? I'm curious about what topic it was.

But yeah, never fun to deal with people like that. Reddit seems to be full of them that are even worse because they get a little trigger happy with the ban button.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
Was it a forum that is advertised on FP? I'm curious about what topic it was.

But yeah, never fun to deal with people like that. Reddit seems to be full of them that are even worse because they get a little trigger happy with the ban button.
It's even more obnoxious when it's over a simple question. They mentioned they owned a SNES game that never left Japan. I was like "that game never left Japan, do you collect imports, or is it a fan translated reproduction?". "I don't collect imports or reproductions, it's authentic". After I tried explaining to her that the game wasn't released outside of Japan on the SNES, she went off on me.

Usually when people get upset if you mention they own a repro, it's because they didn't know it was authentic, and don't want to admit they were duped. Especially if they paid a lot for it. Turns out she didn't even own the game at all. She then continued trying to deny that even if she didn't own the game, it's still possible to own a legitimate non-Japanese copy of the game.

Like come on, really?

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Wow, that's absurd. I was expecting this to be something related to politics because people get extremely touchy with that subject. But a reaction like that over something so simple is just crazy :LOL:

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
Wow, that's absurd. I was expecting this to be something related to politics because people get extremely touchy with that subject. But a reaction like that over something so simple is just crazy :LOL:
Based on some of her comments, I think she thought she owned it, and then realized she didn’t. Though I think if someone’s gonna get all testy over something petty like this, I don’t foresee a good relationship in the future. Especially if it’s over a serious topic.

Though I’ll admit that I was also being petty for continuing the conversation. Especially after seeing how she reacts, though hindsight is always 20/20.

Shortie

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,222
Winbux
$0.00
I have seen my fair share of bad moderators on both forums and also Discord.

In the past I have come across moderators who would do anything they could to drag me down and get me banned for no reason, there was one occasion on the first forum I ever joined when the lead moderator was female and she had a thing going on with the admin. I was made moderator and she wasn't happy about it and became jealous believing I had a thing for the admin, that wasn't the case but she still made life difficult and got me banned.

I have also come across forum moderators who will ban for the most simple of things and tend to be power-hungry. Anyone who is power hungry I don't feel should have as much power as they do as a moderator.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
I ended up leaving that forum I mentioned earlier. Most forums I leave is mostly due to the forum being inactive, but that’s the second time I left because of the staff.

A forum with hot headed moderators who like shutting down users for not agreeing with them is an amazing place to be.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,391
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I've seen staff who want members banned because something happened on another site that they didn't appreciate. Bringing that drama to your forum doesn't help things at all. I try to be strict on Christianity Haven that it has to happen on our site for us to action against.

bestwriter

Leader among Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
grouie.blogspot.com
Hubux
$1
Winbux
$5.00
In International forums there is the tendency for some moderators to become racists. I have come across one such moderator.