Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Buy used or new?

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
Do you buy your PC brand new or do you head on over to the pawn shop and buy a used computer?

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
I buy new cause those skinny desktops aren't much anyway. Well, the last one was only around $300 and I already had a monitor. Anyway, a drawback of that computer is the low memory and graphics, but that doesn't mean much unless your into gaming or art, but I did think about getting more into art.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
New all day long. And that's the case for most things that I purchase anyway really. Especially with technology, I think it's important to buy new because you don't have to suffer with using an old device that someone else might have ruined.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
New! You have no idea what you're getting with refurbished. I would think it would be a different case if you were buying the tower for a desktop and could replace the parts. Buying a laptop that requires a factory or warehouse to open and upgrade/repair is a no go.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I've never bought used. I'm afraid to honestly. I don't want to get someone's old computer and they have something inappropriate on it that I'm going to get in trouble for it after the purchase. This laptop I'm using now, I bought new just last week.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
Pawn shops and computer stores would be under a lot of pressure to sell good stuff. Nonetheless, though, a new one isn't that much - unless it's a gaming computer or something else with more memory etc.. In that case, well, maybe a used gaming computer etc.. could be a good deal.

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
When it comes to a PC buying second hand may seem like a good option but then you lose all warranty on any parts. Depending on what PC you want you could probably build it for an extra couple hundred.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I'm lucky because my brother fixes computers, If he feels it's not worth fixing, he would advise me to go get a new one.

D

Deleted member 268

new

I don't trust used shit, you don't know what they've done on it or what kind of quality it is truly in. I'll always prefer new shiny stuff.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I always buy new gear ;)

I mean you have no idea what it has been though from the last person, GPUs might have gone into 24 hours in bitcoin mining and that can just kill them out real fast. Also PSU's are very important to not buy secoundheand since their lifespan is going to be far lower and if something goes wrong you have no back point.

I always buy new and look after my gear and they last :) It's not that I trust it, you have no idea how or what they been through. End of the day New items is just as cheap then what people saying their old gear.