Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Buying games at small shops?

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,391
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
Do you ever stop into a small gaming shop to buy any games?

My friend's son has a shop for selling games and collectibles and actually made it through covid. I think a lot of people were interested in entertainment last year so he was able to get through that hard first year. I don't live near him or I would be in the shop to look at what he has for sale!

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
We did have a small gaming shop. Unfortunately, due to covid, they couldn't keep the business going and have since closed down.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I don't have any gaming stores near me (as far as I am aware). Even if there were, I probably wouldn't shop with them because it's just easier for me to shop for gaming stuff from the larger shops. They offer better protection and have way better refund policies which are pretty important (for me anyway).

Oblivion Knight

Eat. Sleep. Game. Repeat.
Reaction score
Website
umbrella-online.co.uk
Hubux
$1,980
Winbux
$1.00
I occasionally drop by my local indie game shop to try and support them as best as I am able.. Unfortunately for most modern games, they're simply too expensive compared with digital sales on the PS Store. They're pretty handy for PS3 games and older retro stuff though ?

I don't think I've been in since pre-COVID - but I know they've survived and are open for business again.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Got a notice in the mail that the gaming shop that had to close is going to reopen in December but with a 'limited' selection of games. Will check it out when they do open.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Got a notice in the mail that the gaming shop that had to close is going to reopen in December but with a 'limited' selection of games. Will check it out when they do open.
Plus steam sales are near LOL bad timing

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Gaming stores disappeared here, completely, even before covid was stagnant.. and after that even worse. I saw legendary stores closing down and felt that my childhood ENDED. :(

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
With digital downloads and Online gaming stores, people just aren't going into stores anymore for games. Spending more for nothing. Same with anything really. Even food and TVs

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I haven't shopped at a Gamestop in a long time but I used to go frequently when I was younger. There are comic book/board game stores around but I'm not a frequent shopper there. I'm not very big on shopping in stores anymore since the pandemic.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Not many "mom-and-pop" shops like this in Dublin really, there is one in the city center I can think of that's alright but I've not gone in there in years.

Wish we had more of these like in the US because I've heard that they often break the release date of games and start selling them a couple of days earlier. I dont think the one I mentioned in Dublin does that :C

Uncrowned Guard

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
uncrownedempire.com
Hubux
$957
Winbux
$0.00
We have a small gaming store pop-up that was a better version of GameStop a few years ago, but I don't even know if it lasted a single year. Now I have to drive 45 minutes just to get to a GameStop if I wanted to visit a gaming store.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
The only ones I hit up are the retro game stores in town. One of them has a pretty cool guy and has great prices. One of the others has decent inventory, but has Ebay prices, which kind of defeats the purpose of going to a store.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
The only ones I hit up are the retro game stores in town. One of them has a pretty cool guy and has great prices. One of the others has decent inventory, but has Ebay prices, which kind of defeats the purpose of going to a store.
If it's a small store, probably won't have great prizes... at least it works here for small redistributors..

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,501
Winbux
$0.00
Not any more, but I used to all the time back in the day. One of the first ones I used was called "Egghead". I'm not 100% sure, but this may have later become Gamestop which was my favorite.