Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Call from boss while you are at vacation

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
Some people just hate when boss call them when they are at vacation. They got nerve break, if it is some short call, very important, maybe even worker forgot report something but still many people just hate it. I don't anything bad when my female boss call me. First she is hot, second she always first apologize herself for disturbing and she just calls when it is neccesary. I don't think any boss would call workers if they don't need them.

What do you think about this? Would you decline answer to yor boss while you are at vacation?

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
Staff Note: Please be cautious of the text/tone used in posts. The above can be taken the wrong way even though I am sure it was meant to be harmless and humourous.

Prior to working at my current job, I worked in a fast food restaurant as a Senior Manager (1st Assistant) so I had a WEALTH of knowledge and experience running the location. Our Store Manager was quite intimidating and younger managers were often nervous to call the SM while they were off shift, as a result I was the one who got the calls...day or night...

Sometimes the calls were warranted, other times they could've waited until I got in for my shift OR it could've been a text message/email (we did a lot of texting between managers to convey messages that weren't "urgent" but needed you to look at them before your next shift). I remember there was one time I had literally JUST started a week of vacation, I had been home for about an hour and a half after my shift that day and I had already worked 2-hours late tying up loose ends at the store while I was away, when my phone rang. It was the manager at the store who was telling me that one of our 6 CO2 tanks ran out and he swapped it. First off, this could've been an email, and secondly it was well known that I was out of the store for vacation. But these are the kind of things that I would expect when working with teenager/young adults in authority positions.

Basically, it was a never ending battle to get people to think critically and not call me when I am off the clock, unless it is something legitimately urgent of course. It got better somewhat before I left, but there was always that question of "I wonder how long until they call me from work". I feel for those in tough situations that aren't used to making decisions, it is a lot of pressure right away and people go crazy over food.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Depends on my boss and what I think they may be calling about, if they never call me or I do have projects going that may need questions answered, then yeah I will answer it unless I know my boss is a prick calling to ruin my vacation then I will ignore it.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
What if boss call you because one of your colleague find out how he/she is very sick, some deadly disease, and boss just want inform you?

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
What if boss call you because one of your colleague find out how he/she is very sick, some deadly disease, and boss just want inform you?
I would hope that my boss would leave me a voicemail and I can check that at my leisure and decide whether a reply is needed now vs. waiting until I return to work.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I pick up the phone. You'll never know if an amazing opportunity is coming in.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
I will just ignore it. VACATION isn't for attending your BOSS CALLS

What if your boss is your friend to? Not best friend but friend. You hangout sometimes outside of job, go into bar with other colleagues. Send message but not job related than personal life and other stuff.
Would you take call in that case?

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
I'm my own boss :p I do not have a boss to look at and to get calls from, then again I have no job but doing small things online for myself.

I hope you will stay your boss and start your own company. When you do that one day, would you call as boss your workers on vacation?

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I hope you will stay your boss and start your own company. When you do that one day, would you call as boss your workers on vacation?

I'm the boss of my department but i'm not the owner, maybe that's a different story.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Forget the vacation, I'm not answering the phone for any work-related calls after I finish work. My workplace is pretty good that they don't really do this so it's not a huge problem that I will ever have to face

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I wouldn't answer the phone if my boss called. Just saying.......

You're on vacation for a reason. It's for you to relax....not dealing with whatever your boss is calling you about. What's the point in taking a vacation if you're going to take your boss' call to begin with?

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Being your own boss with people working under you is far more hard-working then working with someone. Being your own boss means you tend to not stop working

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
Being your own boss with people working under you is far more hard-working then working with someone. Being your own boss means you tend to not stop working

True, there is much more work hours, more stress, more responsability but there is good side to: more money for you. You get profit, not just salary. More you work, you have more profit.

Spikey

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$962
Winbux
$0.00
I try to ignore it if I'm on vacation and not answer. I've never gotten in trouble for doing so and they usually apologize when I get back to work.

danny17

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,648
Winbux
$0.00
What if your boss is your friend to? Not best friend but friend. You hangout sometimes outside of job, go into bar with other colleagues. Send message but not job related than personal life and other stuff.
Would you take call in that case?
Yes, I will because I am not in the office and he is only my office as long as I am in the office :)

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
My boss has been pretty good at not calling or texting me about work stuff. I have found out that he would prefer that we initiate the contact about something, rather than wait till he was there to tell him.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
I've never had anyone call for me to come in on vacation. I've been called in on my days off though. Which is fine. More money is always good.