Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Chat Box

tdbnz

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,646
Winbux
$0.20
Hey DH Team

I have a suggestion

I would love to see a chat Box on the forum

It could be extra fun for us users and give us the ability to interact with each other instantly

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
Chat boxes take away from topics that could be posted in threads. So, this wouldn't be something we would do. We do appreciate any and all suggestions. If anyone wants to "chat" on the forum, they can do that in the Chit Chat Lounge thread posted in the link here.

tdbnz

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,646
Winbux
$0.20
Chat boxes take away from topics that could be posted in threads. So, this wouldn't be something we would do. We do appreciate any and all suggestions. If anyone wants to "chat" on the forum, they can do that in the Chit Chat Lounge thread posted in the link here.

I totally understand my friend all good ? This forum is amazing

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
@Terminated summed it up perfectly.

We did use to have a temporary chatbox added to the forum for a few hours on a Friday but we didn't get many users for that so that has stopped. We can look into bringing that event back in the future when the forum grows :).

tdbnz

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,646
Winbux
$0.20
@Terminated summed it up perfectly.

We did use to have a temporary chatbox added to the forum for a few hours on a Friday but we didn't get many users for that so that has stopped. We can look into bringing that event back in the future when the forum grows :).

Having a Chatbox would be kind of cool at times giving users the ability to chat to each other instantly and have fun

Although I understand from @Terminated point of view it can turn off people in terms of posting and rather talking in the Chatbox

May be you should put a discussion up on site and see what other members think of having this on option on site

No harm asking community for there views you never know

I respect any decision made,
Just trying to help the community expand and grow to it full potential

Reactions: Ash

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Yeah, we're always open to doing things that the community likes so I will keep this thread up for a while to see what the other members think.

This would obviously be to get opinions on the return of the weekly chatbox event rather than a permanent chatbox addition to the forum.

tdbnz

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,646
Winbux
$0.20
Yeah, we're always open to doing things that the community likes so I will keep this thread up for a while to see what the other members think.

This would obviously be to get opinions on the return of the weekly chatbox event rather than a permanent chatbox addition to the forum.
No problem at all sounds great ? ?

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
If anyone else has any thoughts or opinions on the return of the weekly chatbox event, please do post it here :). If it has enough interest, we can bring it back.

Jay™

Former Community Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Website
chatbanter.com
Hubux
$2,400
Winbux
$1.00
I have one on my forum, It never got much use so I ended up turning it off for a while.
Today I turned it back on and changed a few settings on it having all forum actions auto post in it made the difference.

Members enjoyed using it while having any new posts show up in the chat, If it takes away from posting it's easy enough to shut off again.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
I think whether or not such a feature would take away from actual posts & threads kinda depends on the community. Back in the day on NintendoPipeline.net one of the admins conclusively proved with graphs and all that yes, having a shoutbox absolutely reduced activity on the site in other areas. But we'd also be sat there all day every talking in it.

On my own forum though, while it's not as active as NP was at that time, they are actually co-existing quite well. I just restricted shoutbox access to only people who bought the relevant permission for on-site points. Now it's only used by 6 or 7 people, and we'd only send a couple of messages a day. We'll still spend most of our time posting replies & topics.

I'd say it's worth a shot. @Jay is totally correct that it's not difficult to disable if the results are not desirable, I would just make it clear in an announcement that you're just testing it out and it could go away if other activity dips - most people would be totally fine with that I reckon.

Elseb

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,150
Winbux
$0.00
Nowadays a Chatbox is seen as a bit of a novelty which gets used when it's first added onto a forum but then drifts away as time goes on. Larger Forums generally have a better success rate but small communities don't generally use it and it can actually have an adverse affect on posts and threads. Personally I don't think it'll add anything but i guess a trial can't really do anything wrong.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Thank you for the feedback and thoughts everyone. It's certainly something we will keep in mind. One thing that we will be doing is bringing back the weekly chat session. We'll see how things go with that and then make a further decision on a permanent chatbox after :)

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
  1. Will kill of the forums, then again for DH doesn't matter unless you have it on over the weekend only.
  2. It's old as flip nowadays, they are long gone
  3. I do not use chat-box anyway and so it means it will take longer to scroll the page.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.