Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Children should not get an allowance for chores

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Some experts think parents should not link the allowance money to household chores. Children should be expected to help out around the house and in the yard because they are members of the family, not because they are paid.

Do you agree or disagree and why?

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Disagree.

It teaches responsibility, a desire to succeed and also gives children a budget they can choose to save, spend or invest willingly. You can also make the money earned equivalent to the difficulty of the chore involved. My parents also gave money for report cards. $5 per A, I believe. It roughly equated to $30 for all As, $25 for A/Bs, so on.

abubakar3141

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$619
Winbux
$0.00
Disagree because We should not put any pressure on children as it can affect their minds. Money greed can lead children astray.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I agree to a certain extent:

We never got an allowance when we were growing up. We had chores that we had to do. But, I don't see any harm in giving a child a little money in exchange for a small chore. I think it teaches them to work for something. Teach them to save a little of what they earned. But I don't think it's wrong for them to do chores for nothing.... it's all part of growing up and learning that things have to be done around the house.

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Some experts think parents should not link the allowance money to household chores. Children should be expected to help out around the house and in the yard because they are members of the family, not because they are paid.

Do you agree or disagree and why?
Disagree it's a token of thank you but I do disagree operating like a bank and "deducting" for not doing them. Alternative sane punishments I think is the way to do. Like no lolly or what not (not like no video games/Internet since I think that's optionally necessarily depending on the child/teen).

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I had paid chores and non paid chores when I grew up. If I wanted money I did the chores my parents were willing to pay me for otherwise do normal stuff expected of me like cleaning my room and cleaning up after myself.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I did chores as a kid and got an allowance. Parents do this to teach their children that if you want money that you have to go out an earn it. Money earned is what you use to purchase the things you want (outside of what you get for birthday and Christmas).

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
Children have to grow up someday. It's inevitable. A lesson in responsibility needs to be top priority. If you don't teach your children anything, they'll grow up to be irresponsible and make more mistakes.

There's a right way to do the right thing.

Not teaching them about money is almost like setting them up for failure. In fact it's downright neglectful not to. My kids get paid if they do chores. They don't work, they don't get the money. They know that money doesn't grow on trees. They know that if they don't work, they'll never have nice things. I've given them the money talk and so has their grandparents and great grandparents.

When children become an adult and enter society. They can't go out into the world believing that houses and cars come without taxes, bills, insurance, the electric and water bill, or that living in an apartment is rent free, or that groceries appear out of thin air. Kids don't think about these things when they're little.

I think schools really need to enforce this and teach children accounting skills and why they need to save money. Not algebra or geometry. Those are things they're not going to use unless they take a class in a college for a profession, like an architect or an air traffic controller, that requires it. Not a lot of people use Algebra or Geometry at a job in real life let alone in the medical field.

It's kind of like what Eddard Stark told Catelyn Stark about Bran in the first season of Game of Thrones.

"He won't be a boy forever and winter is coming."

2be9c73acb24ab87749944640607b774.png

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Children have to grow up someday. It's inevitable. A lesson in responsibility needs to be top priority. If you don't teach your children anything, they'll grow up to be irresponsible and make more mistakes.

There's a right way to do the right thing.

Not teaching them about money is almost like setting them up for failure. In fact it's downright neglectful not to. My kids get paid if they do chores. They don't work, they don't get the money. They know that money doesn't grow on trees. They know that if they don't work, they'll never have nice things. I've given them the money talk and so has their grandparents and great grandparents.

When children become an adult and enter society. They can't go out into the world believing that houses and cars come without taxes, bills, insurance, the electric and water bill, or that living in an apartment is rent free, or that groceries appear out of thin air. Kids don't think about these things when they're little.

I think schools really need to enforce this and teach children accounting skills and why they need to save money. Not algebra or geometry. Those are things they're not going to use unless they take a class in a college for a profession, like an architect or an air traffic controller, that requires it. Not a lot of people use Algebra or Geometry at a job in real life let alone in the medical field.

It's kind of like what Eddard Stark told Catelyn Stark about Bran in the first season of Game of Thrones.

"He won't be a boy forever and winter is coming."

2be9c73acb24ab87749944640607b774.png
That the few things I liked about my school system at the time. We had credits for a grade to the point I was "racking it in" to basically get myself out of any intense homework situation. Plus a few candies to eat in class to boot!

There was another time in High School that a unrelated class was very interested into me that they got me out for a day at mall. Now not only that was sweet but also that won me a lunch of a life time thanks to me managing the $20 given to us that way to get a full loaded cooked veggie sub, cheesy fries, a LARGE lemonade, hot pretzel and a desert to seal in the deal!

Now if only being adult could be that exciting all of the time... Just looking at places to live on a budget is depressing already or... just getting what you expected online despite your best efforts.

Zap

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
forumdb.net
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
I think allowance for chores can play an important role in child-rearing:
  1. It teaches them that work pays off.
  2. It teaches them that money doesn't grow on trees and that whatever you as a parent spend on them actually had to be earned someplace. If communicated correctly, that may lead to your children generally being more grateful as well as not taking so much for granted.
  3. With the money earned, you are in a prime position to teach your child how to budget her own money and how to save money. Invaluable skills to know, and there is some special satisfaction gained from working and saving and finally being able to buy that thing you really want.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I think allowance for chores can play an important role in child-rearing:
  1. It teaches them that work pays off.
  2. It teaches them that money doesn't grow on trees and that whatever you as a parent spend on them actually had to be earned someplace. If communicated correctly, that may lead to your children generally being more grateful as well as not taking so much for granted.
  3. With the money earned, you are in a prime position to teach your child how to budget her own money and how to save money. Invaluable skills to know, and there is some special satisfaction gained from working and saving and finally being able to buy that thing you really want.

This

I think this was ultimately what my parents tried to teach me as a kid.