Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Contract or Outright purchase?

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
Do you prefer to buy your mobile phone outright, or have it subsidized through a contract agreement with your provider? What the major providers here in Canada are doing now is getting consumers to pay an upfront cost for the phone ($100-400 normally), then monthly payments towards the cost of the phone for your 1 or 2 year contract, and then you have to return the phone after your contract OR you can purchase the device for the remainder of the cost the provider paid for the device (again, $100-400 normally).

I myself prefer to buy my device outright and not be tied to contracts. It just makes things easier but I can also appreciate how not everyone is in the same boat. I buy a new device every 5-6 years normally so I am halfway through the life cycle for my current device.

What do you do?

Zakalwe

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$94
Winbux
$0.00
It's cheaper to buy outright but its a major investment with a one off cost. My phone is the iPhone XS Max 256GB and is two years old. I suspect it was pushing towards $1000 at launch. I find it better to pay monthly rather than splash out a large chunk of cash in one go.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Never liked the contract. Once sign you are stuck. Stuck forever till it has ended. Once ended then RIP.

OWner your own phone, means you use it till it dies, Hell my phone is 10 years old now and I just swap the sim out.