Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Cookies are becoming annoying

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I swear more websites I browse these days, they keep flashing the annoying cookie acceptance popup. Can't a person browse a site in peace? Do you have such a cookie requirement on your site?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I don't own a website but totally agree with how annoying the cookie acceptance popup is,

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I do understand why they have them, all sites need to have them, but I do agree that the popup message is a butt hole.

Been on sites that take up the full screen and takes time to load the page to accept.

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Instead of complaining there is actually some things you can do about it. :D

You can either enable sources in a browser like Vivaldi or get a extension/plugin called "I Don't Care About Cookies".

Either options should significantly reduces the annoyances. (y)

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30

You can either enable sources in a browser like Vivaldi or get a extension/plugin called "I Don't Care About Cookies".

didn't realize there is a thing out there, going to go grab it.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
They are extremely annoying but I guess I understand that they are important for sites to have. I just wish sites would make them slightly less annoying by having a banner at the top/bottom of the page rather than adding a massive modal that you have to close.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Slightly less annoying is too easy for them, rather have full screen and make people rage as their PC crashes. what's wrong with very small little text on the bottom where you can't see it

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
What's even worse about cookies is when you have to worry about them when building a site from scratch. Because that means you actually have to research the topic and decide how the hell you let your users control what cookies they want etc.

TopSilver

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,755
Winbux
$0.00
I agree, and that's the world we live in where just because of the EU you can't even browse a site peacefully. I completely agree and want to see how long this lasts before they get tired of it, or if they never get tired of it. Cookie notices are very annoying and that's why I'm not GDPR compliant. I don't live in the UK, I live in America which America is much smarter so I never have to worry about it.

Why users in other countries might cater to something of that nature is beyond me. Not even Google themselves have to be GDPR compliant but mostly are as are many businesses because they want to be professional and don't want users complaining. Would just love it if a big company like Yahoo or Google one day decided they weren't going to follow the UKs law. Would be a push towards ending it and cause many people to get mad but would excite me since they are so well known.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
GDPR compliant, I mean if you running a site from America and or live America, you have to be compliant. Makes sense. Why I may ask. You going to get traffic from EU, websites are worldwide and you want to get traffic as much as you can, if it's a forum point of view then HELL yeah.

I do not have to follow GDPR myself as the UK is no longer part of the EU, however, I do since I have traffic from most of the EU countries. It's BS but at least I follow and accepts it and went ahead with it.

Rather eat Cookies :) I have cookies notice but they aren't over the top right in your FACE :p one clicks and it's gone and takes very little of the screen. At times it's to protect the site and owner.

actually have to research, just do all of it :p

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
Yet It's EU that made that law..
Yes, the EU made the GDPR laws, but the UK made a direct copy of them in UK law that is still active so sites that are based in the UK or that have UK visitors still need to comply.

Lots of EU laws were copied into UK law as 'equivalency'. Let's not forget that the UK was part of the EU for more than 40 years and helped create and shape those laws, it would have been crazy (and left big gaps in legislation) to just throw them all away at Brexit.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$727
Winbux
$0.00

Does Adblock and Ublock Origin extensions take care of cookies?

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Does Adblock and Ublock Origin extensions take care of cookies?
I don't believe they do. I use uBlock Origin and I still have to choose whether to accept cookies or not. Not sure if there is a setting hidden somewhere that sorts that out though.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I added a Chrome extension called "I Don't Care About Cookies" and it works great.