Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

COVID-19 Tracking Apps

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
My province just released a COVID-19 notification/tracking app which is being trial tested to be released to the rest of the country if it works out. This device does not collect any data from you, does not track your geo location, and is pretty straightforward. The code is open source so I am sure there are people scouring it for security vulnerabilities right now, but so far it looks ok.

It works by sending a small packet of data out from your device via Bluetooth. Other devices in proximity record that packet as an "exposure" after 15 minutes of continuous receipt. The app does not know where you are, what you are doing, or even who you are. I just knows that it has been close enough to another device where you may have been exposed.

Should you test positive for covid-19, you will be given a one-time use pin code that you enter into this app and you have the option to anonymously notify other app users who have been registered in your proximity within the last couple of week, and gives them next steps to take to protect themselves and their loved ones.

I am not technical, so to me this sounds like a great system. I have already set it up on my device and encourage people in my "circle" to do the same. For all of you techies out there, what are some of the risks I should be aware of? It legitimately did not ask for any info. I just had to turn on bluetooth, and then it asked for permission to send me notifications. You do not need to authorize the notifications and can have it so you only receive them when viewing the app, but I am the type of person who would like to know asap so that I can protect others.

Thoughts from others?

Here is the link to the webpage managed by our Provincial Public Health:

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Heard about these, lot of the major telephone companies pushed them out here in the States awhile back. Couple of people were talking about it as a method for the CDC and them to track people who tested positive for asymptomatic or symptomatic to make sure that they were staying at home for the two weeks and not going out.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
While I agree with you, I can also understand how this helps try to contain the spread of the virus, which is something we sorely need here in the States.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
In Croatia is also released but as beta version. It is not mandatory. Some politicans install it and report how currently don't do anything. I don't think I will install if I don't get order. I don't like having health apps since those often have many problems. I really don't know how this app can help against Covid virus. You can track somebody even without app on phone.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
I would shut this down personally, someone hacks into this and there will be mass hysteria as it could send out a lot of fake positive signals.
I understand your point, however, personally I would rather get a false alert and get tested to find that I am negative, than potentially carry the virus to my parents or other people within my small bubble. I also ready that the UK is testing a new COVID test that can have the results in 90 minutes. If these tests are successful, I think this will drastically affect the caliber of testing and lead to better contact tracing efforts worldwide.
While I agree with you, I can also understand how this helps try to contain the spread of the virus, which is something we sorely need here in the States.
I really feel for the folks down in the US and I fear that the worst is not even over as outbreaks are still running rampant across much of the southern states and western country.
In Croatia is also released but as beta version. It is not mandatory. Some politicans install it and report how currently don't do anything. I don't think I will install if I don't get order. I don't like having health apps since those often have many problems. I really don't know how this app can help against Covid virus. You can track somebody even without app on phone.
This app is not mandatory here in Canada either, and I doubt it ever will be mandatory. You simply rely on people making an educated decision and using the app to help keep themselves and their community safe.