Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Daily Backups?

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
Do you make daily backups of your databases? Typically most hosts will do a daily backup for you, and my host does this. I never take a daily backup, I did backup my database last night since my forum was having issues. (I fixed it now though.) I guess it doesn't help to have a offline backup just in case.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
My host used to do daily backups, but since I passed the 25GB max storage that they allow to do backups, Rip no more. I'm over 25GB. Only daily backup that I got going is my databases with a cron job setup where it backups and then after three days or more the other backed up files get removed to leave more room for new backup.

It's not a full server backup, just the database. There are paid based backup options but they cost WAY to much

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I rely on my host to do daily backups but I probably should do a few more manually. I know that we actually had a problem with the host generated backup a while ago so it's probably not the best thing to rely solely on them.

TopSilver

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,755
Winbux
$0.00
Yes I have daily, weekly, and even monthly backups with a retention schedule of 5 so older ones are automatically deleted after five times. If your site is using retention at all, then you need to have weekly and monthly to. That way if something by chance were to go wrong you still have a backup. I also occasionally download them by hand and I also upload one to my Google drive ever so often.

I'll be looking into Amazon S3 buckets when I get enough people to have it remotely be sent to my PC or hard drive as well as attachment storage since their storage options are fantastic and cheap compared to your web host. Another thing is there's a Xenforo 2 add-on actually just for this that assist not only in the S3 storage option but also holding attachments. I actually think Chris D was the creator and there may be a tutorial on it, I haven't checked.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I have done a manual backup a couple of times, just download right onto my PC :) However, takes too long and has no space on my PC. My host does weekly backups however I passed the threshold that they allow ;( I'm over 20GB that they allow and so RIP me on that.

Yet, still working as of now, hopefully, :p that I set up a CRON job that backups MySQL database once a day :) it backups and then it keeps that file for a week then it gets removed and then backups again.

I mean what's the best backup? and for free or low cost?

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
It's also important to think about where the backups are stored. If they are on the same server or even in the same datacentre then in the case of disaster they are still not safe, like the fire at the OVH datacentre a couple of months ago.

Whether you are making your own backups or just relying on the ones that your host does for you, find out where they are storing them.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Well, the host wouldn't do that :) the backups would be stored to another server/drive I had to do recovery many times when I had SMF and the site went down to the point that I had to go back to the last restore point.
Post automatically merged:

Well as of today I was able to free up space 17GB of junk and am now able to have weekly backups done each week by my host provider, turn out that I had so many backup zip files that never got removed.

Last edited: