Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Desktops VS Laptops

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
Tell the public what kind of computer you prefer to use. Laptops are far more small, light and less heavy than a computer, so this is my preferred choice. Constantly, I consider myself on the run either driving, eating out or heading to work, so as a result, portability is a major advantage.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
I prefer to use a desktop for a few reasons.

When I am at home, I am going to be using the computer from my office (unless I am doing family skype calls then I will go to the living room) and I have all of the gizmos and gadgets there for me, with a set-up that I am constantly tinkering with - but I think that I have it down now! I am interested in getting into some video gaming right now but to play anything recent, my 5 year old "gaming laptop" can only handle it on the lowest settings, if at all. I am in the market for a desktop gaming computer. I am thinking I am going to spend in the neighbourhood of $1500-2000 CAD. This is going to take some time to save up, but that will be it.

Plus...most TVs now can be used as a basic computer out of the box. And if you want "power" out of your computer, well it has to be a desktop.

Jason

Troubleshooter
Reaction score
Website
webmasterchill.com
Hubux
$218
Winbux
$0.00
I prefer desktop because i love a comfortable keyboard set up and monitor of big size. Laptop does give me a good experience when typing and handling it.

TimeRider

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$69
Winbux
$0.00
I would surely go for Laptops as they have similar specifications as Desktop. Gaming Laptop are now of a trend. You can play any game or do any heavy development projects.

D

Deleted Member

I started with a desktop and will continue with it till the end of time. I have replaced parts now and then but desktop it is for me.

I am not for upgrades for the sake of it. I am doing fine. What you need is a good ISP, some software that helps you with stuff that you want to work on and bingo all is well.

catgirl

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$135
Winbux
$0.00
While I have both, I prefer my desktop. The reason being that laptops get hot when working on CPU heavy tasks such as programming. My laptop is great for making small posts on forums or minor code tweaks but it fails at handling tasks that require greater performance and gets hot as well.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Laptops all the way. It's just so convenient to be able to pick up my laptop and take it wherever I want to in my house. Plus, I need it for university so it's very nice to have something small and convenient that isn't too heavy to carry around.

JoyFreak

Gaming
Reaction score
Website
www.joyfreak.com
Hubux
$1,283
Winbux
$0.00
I currently use my laptop, which is a gaming laptop.I use to have a PC but sold it when I was shipped off to uni, figured a laptop was much more convenient. It's actually decent! Does the job wel.

Xelious

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$26
Winbux
$0.00
Desktops have more power to them and I am a gamer so I go with a desktop. I don't like laptops and am not out of the house very often anyway so needing the mobile computer is not necessary.

Laptops for gaming is kind of a bad thing because a laptops hardware will break a lot quicker than a PC's will :p

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
Desktops have more power to them and I am a gamer so I go with a desktop. I don't like laptops and am not out of the house very often anyway so needing the mobile computer is not necessary.

Laptops for gaming is kind of a bad thing because a laptops hardware will break a lot quicker than a PC's will :p
How do you figure it would break faster?

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I want desktops, laptops are nice, but they aren't great when it comes to keeping them cool. Which with a desktop I can set it up to how I want and not worry about space and they have better air flow.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I have built my own desktops for over two decades. My latest, I had to scrape together quickly, my previous five-year-old build had the motherboard failing to even POST, so I didn't really get exactly what I was thinking about getting, but I still managed a quad-core machine, while keeping my some of my old hardware. Too bad the 1.5 TB drive decided to not cooperate. Still using my old Nvidia graphics card, monitors, webcam, speakers (two decades old, probably going on three now), and a DVD writer.

The next one, I still will most likely be building a desktop. I have 5 TB total disk space currently, so unless I migrate everything to a NAS, I just don't see a laptop or tablet offering me that kind of storage, even in the next five years. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it happens. I just don't expect it.

If I do go with a laptop, a Chromebook that I can RDP into my desktop might be the best thing for me. So, technically, that's both.

22_22

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$102
Winbux
$0.00
I used to love desktops for the bigger screens and it was what I grew up with before laptops become more prevalent. Nowadays though I prefer laptops as they are much lighter and portable, which I need as I am constantly moving around during university or travelling.

Jordan

Tech Support
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,371
Winbux
$0.00
I prefer desktops but I hate having multiple devices. I believe my next setup will be with a very high end laptop, that supports Thunderbolt 3. I will get all of my "Desktop" Gadgets on a Type-C Hub (one cord to plug-in that supports all my USB devices). I will then get an eGPU setup going. This will allow me to only plug-in or plug-out 2 cords when I am on the go. I'll be able to have everything in 1 place locally. The eGPU setup will also allow me to play games most likely at ultra. I will use the newer generation GPUs from nVidia when they release.

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
I prefer PC over laptop because it has the keyboard and mouse, especially the mouse. I use one on my laptop atm!

What mouse and keyboard do you own? Are there any other gaming accessories? You can always share pictures of your setup with the community.

Is this the only PC that you've been using?

Last edited: