Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Did you ever tried Linux?

Funkel

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Website
www.minecom.org
Hubux
$1,388
Winbux
$0.00
Did you ever tried Linux?

Have you ever tested Linux operating system or even used it? I have Linux on one of my hard drives and use it for different things. Currently I am using Ubuntu.

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
No. I've never tried Linux as I have a perfectly working Windows Operating System at the moment. Nonetheless, it seems a stunning free alternative and I'm open to considering using this OS in the future.

The only issue is that some Windows programs may not be compatible with Linux.

Jordan

Tech Support
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,371
Winbux
$0.00
I've used various flavors of Linux over the years. For my projects I use CentOS or Ubuntu. For personal PC, I have used ElementaryOS, just to get the MacOS feeling. It's one of the better distros for GUI.

Creaky

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Website
planetmgc.com
Hubux
$1,412
Winbux
$0.00
I have a number of Virtual machines running mainly Ubuntu for different things, find it very easy to use. Also just started playing with WSL in Windows which works surprisingly well.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I have never tried it. I'm happy with Windows so I personally don't see the need for it. Are there any large benefits to using Linux? I've never properly looked into it or researched it

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
I worked on Linux sometime but just because I need it. There were some assignments on college and we need it. While I was using it I find it was not compatibile with Windows and Office much. When you make PowerPoint presentation on Linux, it will look different on Windows even if you used same version of MS Office.
I also use it to try crack WEP and WP2 password protection.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Yes, I personally haven't owned my own system but I have used them in the passed. I installed Linux and updated them and used them back in my college years and it was fun. Remember setting up a security PC with Linux running. 90% of the time thought I stuck with windows. I even still got the old Linux boot and installation disc.

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
On a personal level at home, no I never have. But I have worked a lot with it at schools, always fun messing with it.

I can only remember using XP and then OS 7 throughout my years of education. Was Linux installed on the school computers? Do you prefer using Windows or Linux?

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
I've tinkered around with a few different versions of Linux over the years, but never installed it on any of my home computers for a official home run test. Currently I don't have a need to use it.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I have never tried it. I'm happy with Windows so I personally don't see the need for it. Are there any large benefits to using Linux? I've never properly looked into it or researched it
It's funny coming back to this. I ended up having to install Linux on my spare laptop when my main one was being repaired. It was good enough for me as a backup but I do love Windows. I don't think I would ever bother using Linux unless I was forced to.

Alexandoy

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,512
Winbux
$0.00
I have tried Linux but not on my computer. It is not easy or should I say it is hard to understand maybe because I am a Windows user ever since the beginning.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I can only remember using XP and then OS 7 throughout my years of education. Was Linux installed on the school computers? Do you prefer using Windows or Linux?

It was windows on the school computers, but in the PC labs we had personal PCs that we could do whatever and had a whole class based on linux and linux command lines.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah, I've been using Linux as my daily driver for the last 3 years. A lot of people in this thread seem to think it's difficult but as someone mentioned it is really because we're used to Windows. Adjusting to a different workflow/ecosystem than what you've used for 20 years will never be super easy. But assuming you use a user-friendly distro you shouldn't need to use the terminal anymore than you would use sfc /scannow or ipconfig commands on Windows.

I continue to feel rewarded for my initial patience with Linux to this day. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot more straight forward than using Windows can be.

It is still behind in some areas though. Hardware acceleration in browsers & nvidia optimus laptops can be tricky to get working for example, but I don't think the average person should run into too many issues these days.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I've got linux in my older laptops :D they serve as file servers at home now :)

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I've only used Lubuntu on a Lenovo laptop that Windows 10 messed up. :V I have it on a USB drive, so I can dual boot W10 with Lubuntu. I find that older laptops benefit from using Ubuntu and it's various other flavors. However I don't think I could use it as a primary OS because there's programs that I use for rom hacking that only work on Windows. :S

Jason

Troubleshooter
Reaction score
Website
webmasterchill.com
Hubux
$218
Winbux
$0.00
I am using Solus OS and i love it. Eventhough i miss better gaming experience using Windows i am fully satisfied with Linux and i don't think i will make the switch.