Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Do you like phpBB?

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
phpBB is a very popular free forum software, plus it's been around for about 20 years now. What are your thoughts on phpBB? Have you ever used it before? When I started getting into making forums I picked Forumotion for my host and they use phpBB. TBH I feel that setting up permissions for phpBB is a pain, and can be confusing for those new to making forums. I also feel that it gets hacked easily, and spam prevention seems to be difficult to maintain on phpBB too. It's definitely my least favorite free forum software.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Yes and no, I have used it but never really got into using it for good. I just one of those people that go with paid based forum software. And even that offers so many plugins there isn't any that I'm wanted or they don't have support to what I'm after.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I don't like it. Honestly, from all the free options out there, the only one I would be happy using is MyBB. They have great support, a whole range of themes & plugins, and it's extremely easy to use.

I'm just not a fan of phpBB. They've made some major improvements but they're still not quite there especially when compared to MyBB. I remember the old system where installing a plugin/mod onto your forum was extremely difficult with phpBB ?

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
I do not. I think its ugly, insecure, and when I used it it was a pain to modify.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
I can't really see the differences in the major free forum software things. They are all good as far as I know. However, though, some or all of them have individual things which some see as attractive. For instance, SMF and bbPress (WordPress powered) has one click upload for stuff and one-click upgrading. Nonetheless, the things required to upload and upgrade for the others aren't difficult to do.

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I do like PHPBB, but I find it pretty complicated for a beginner, maybe because I haven’t used it a great deal.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,346
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I am using it for my small forum Crafter Craze and I think for that type of forum it really works. I don't need a lot of plug ins for the site so I don't have to worry about that type of thing and the looks fits my needs. It took a bit of a learning curve to get things set up since my mind is still fresh on vbulletin and xenforo but now that it's set up I don't have to do anything too major now.

Simon

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Website
webmastersmeet.com
Hubux
$1,925
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah, I have really fond memories of phpBB. Most of the forums I first joined and participated in was running phpBB. But unfortunately, it hasn't changed much since its inception and nowadays it feels outdated and I try to stay away from forums running it.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Sadly, that forum is lost on time, back in 2005 it might been great but now.. anyway for people with a formed community that do not fancy any enhancement at all that might be one of the best solutions, even though i might wanna check its security first (unlike mybb that has a much stronger tester users!)

Simon

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Website
webmastersmeet.com
Hubux
$1,925
Winbux
$0.00
Sadly, that forum is lost on time, back in 2005 it might been great but now.. anyway for people with a formed community that do not fancy any enhancement at all that might be one of the best solutions, even though i might wanna check its security first (unlike mybb that has a much stronger tester users!)
Exactly, I understand that phpBB was popular back in the days and that many forums are still running it because they are somehow afraid of alienating their loyal user base (change is scary and all that...). But today, phpBB is extremely outdated and there are much better options to go with. You should not use it to start a brand-new community today.

Nova

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$186
Winbux
$0.00
I think design wise the PHPbb is nothing but horror story. I mean they could make minimalism with some attractive design. However the thing about the phpbb is that they need to do something on that front. Apart from that forum code is good enough it gets the work done.