Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Do you take staffing seriously?

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$691
Winbux
$0.00
When the owner of a forum approaches you with a staff position on their forum and you take it. Do you think little of it or do you take it seriously?

Myself personally. I would take it seriously and would stay more active on the board. Being asked says a lot in fact. I would take into account that the owner has a full plate. They're having to deal with the financial side of things, they're have to go off site and promote it, and they have worldly obligations. Them asking me or you is saying "Hey, I need help. Will you stay on and manage the forum while I'm gone please?" and I think that should be taken into "heavily" into account.

I have little respect for staff members that are inactive while one staff member struggles with the bulk of everything. That's really not fair to them. The only exception would be unless the inactive staff member is a sponsor and is paying for everything, then that is understandable.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
When the owner of a forum approaches you with a staff position on their forum and you take it. Do you think little of it or do you take it seriously?

Myself personally. I would take it seriously and would stay more active on the board. Being asked says a lot in fact. I would take into account that the owner has a full plate. They're having to deal with the financial side of things, they're have to go off site and promote it, and they have worldly obligations. Them asking me or you is saying "Hey, I need help. Will you stay on and manage the forum while I'm gone please?" and I think that should be taken into "heavily" into account.

I have little respect for staff members that are inactive while one staff member struggles with the bulk of everything. That's really not fair to them. The only exception would be unless the inactive staff member is a sponsor and is paying for everything, then that is understandable.
Have you ever been staff on a community? If so, which one(s)?

I agree, every staff member should be contributing in whatever manner they can. It can be the most frustrating thing in the world when an administrator creates a community and offers positions out for people to help, they accept them and then disappear without a word. It's one of the things that has frustrated me to no end. When offered a staff position, I do everything in my power to be active, contribute to the growth of the community and help make new content on a regular basis that contributes to discussion and hopefully draws members back in.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I always had to deal with the front of the house and back, I never had a staff member that lifts my work off for me. Regards a mod anyway. I had mods come in and they all up in arms about it then weeks later they dye and not active. I just don't have luck with staff as mods and end of the day I do it all myself anyway. MIght take the job longer as I'm the only one doing it but it will get done.

Unless it's paid work it's different. If you paying someone to do something for you then you expect the job to be done

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I try to be while understand life happens outside of forums. These days I'm kind of too relaxed but mostly due to my staff working for free. Now if I paid them, I be cracking the whip a bit more.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I try to be while understand life happens outside of forums. These days I'm kind of too relaxed but mostly due to my staff working for free. Now if I paid them, I be cracking the whip a bit more.
To be fair, even if they are working for free, I don't think it's unfair to set up some minimum requirements. For me, I've always had great staff members on my site so I've never had to really consider things like that. But if they aren't being great staff members, it doesn't help your forum at all so there would be no point keeping them on.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Can be the same in revise. Your volunteer staff working away and thinking about what the owner is like and what he or she is doing. How they feel regards to the forum owner.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
True. As long as the owner is doing a lot of work, the same can be expected from the other staff members on the forum as well. I don't think it would be fair for an admin to hire staff and then just not doing anything whilst expecting them to do everything.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I do take staff positions seriously and I don't accept unless I know 100% I can dedicate time to their forum.

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
I’ll take it seriously because I wouldn’t wanna let them down when they’ve trusted me with a position.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I’ll take it seriously because I wouldn’t wanna let them down when they’ve trusted me with a position.
HAving to start and build a website is very hard at times and if you think about it. Just having on staff member like yourself is the best bet to start with.

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
HAving to start and build a website is very hard at times and if you think about it. Just having on staff member like yourself is the best bet to start with.
I'm the only staff member on my site atm, it's hard to get voluntary people.

I did have a friend but he & I are not friends anymore and he did something unforgivable to the site so he's banned.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I'm the only staff member on my site atm, it's hard to get voluntary people.

I did have a friend but he & I are not friends anymore and he did something unforgivable to the site so he's banned.
Same, when I started for the first week, it was just myself. THen my long term online mate came into the show and he did help back then, but nowadays he's left me.

It is hard to get to find people that are willing to help for free. Or you try to give them other options rather than a payment. I find myself having people that are willing to do so are forum owners themselves and that's even harder as you have to think that their own site is more of an priority over your own,

Fait

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,551
Winbux
$0.00
Same, when I started for the first week, it was just myself. THen my long term online mate came into the show and he did help back then, but nowadays he's left me.

It is hard to get to find people that are willing to help for free. Or you try to give them other options rather than a payment. I find myself having people that are willing to do so are forum owners themselves and that's even harder as you have to think that their own site is more of an priority over your own,
that's suck and friendships these days are a waste tbh.

and eventually it comes together but its just a lot harder then it once was.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah, when you start out, better to be by your self. But staffing in general is a very picky subject for me, since your staff represent your community. They run the reputation of the community. If you don't share the same goals, then it's just not worth it.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Yeah, when you start out, better to be by your self. But staffing in general is a very picky subject for me, since your staff represent your community. They run the reputation of the community. If you don't share the same goals, then it's just not worth it.
Agree