Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

• Welcome to the Groups feature Guest! Official and user groups allow you to take part in discussions and events related to the interests and hobbies of the Discussion Hub Community. For more information, read our Groups Information Megathread post.

Memory Lane

This is memory lane, a place to discuss things you loved from childhood!

Quick Overview

Category
User Groups
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Early Internet

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
What did you guys get up to when the internet was still "young" and not as well used as it is right now. I remember when I first used the internet, the first thing I searched on Google was Top Cat lol

trash can GIF by Boomerang Official

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Internet was very slow and was not cheap for me in the early days. Not like now where it's unlimited and far cheaper and faster.

There were so many slots free that I had to use the mobile network and I had to use and 10GB a month.

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
What did you guys get up to when the internet was still "young" and not as well used as it is right now. I remember when I first used the internet, the first thing I searched on Google was Top Cat lol

trash can GIF by Boomerang Official
Bruuhh I still remember when the internet was still so slow that 9 times out of 10, images woukd end up as just a small transparent square in the corner of the screen with a red "x" through it.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
Dial up was very very slow when I was a kid. Sometimes you had to wait 20 minutes to an hour just for a page to download. IT was ridiculous.

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
Dial up was very very slow when I was a kid. Sometimes you had to wait 20 minutes to an hour just for a page to download. IT was ridiculous.
Hahaha I remember downloading an image took about a week back then. ?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Same here. You could go cook a whole meal and the download was still not finished.

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
Same here. You could go cook a whole meal and the download was still not finished.
Hell you could do your taxes take your laundry through a full load and watch the entire Godfather trilog within the time it took lmao

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
I remember connecting to the dial-up connection just to log on to the nickelodeon website to play their games.. ?
Ahahaha I used to use it to connect to furby.com back in the 90s and most often it would just end up as a clear box with a red x in it. ?‍♂️

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
Oh the good old days when using the internet was a luxury eh?

Now its everywhere.. literally everywhere.. not that it's a bad thing.
Back when it felt like exploring something new...

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
Back when it felt like exploring something new...
Yep, those were some fascinating times.

Think about the internet speeds, like Dial Up was upto 34kbps and DSL was a good 800kbps, I still remember when I used my friends DSL connection I was blown away by how fast the websites loaded ?

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
Yep, those were some fascinating times.

Think about the internet speeds, like Dial Up was upto 34kbps and DSL was a good 800kbps, I still remember when I used my friends DSL connection I was blown away by how fast the websites loaded ?
I remember how excited I was to look around it for the first time haha. It felt like you were in a game looking around a new secret dungeon.

Shortie

Knows their way around
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,217
Winbux
$0.00
Emerald Membership (1 Month)
When I first was able to jump on and use the internet I always remember the first thing I did was look for websites based on a band I was a huge fan of.

After a while I got curious about creating my own websites and found Geocities and that was where my love for creating websites started :)

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
There was online dial-up out in the countryside where I was at. In fact, that didn't change until the 2000s when we got satellite internet and now just regular high,-speed is available there.

bestwriter

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Website
grouie.blogspot.com
Hubux
$176
Winbux
$3.00
It was like music to the ears to hear those words "You have got mail" There is so much I can write about my first experience with the Internet.