Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Erasing data

StormyFire

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$616
Winbux
$0.00
When you are ready to let go of a device, how do you erase the data from it?

I don't generally get rid of drives, but when I want to erase data, I use ATA Secure Erase.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
How I erase data from my computer:

Type 'Reset PC' into the search bar in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen and select the 'Reset this PC' option. If you then select the 'Get Started' button, your laptop will walk you through the reset process. Select 'Remove everything' for a full wipe.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,346
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
We pull out the hard drives of computers and either keep them or bash them. It's really the only safest way.

As for phones, my last phone was the only one that really had any info on it and I'm keeping that because my mom's texts are there and she passed away 2 years ago.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I've only ever had to get rid of smartphones so with those, I delete all the apps and content from the phone (once I've moved it to a new device). I then complete a factory reset on it just to make sure everything is gone.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Just get a new cheap drive and put a clean install of windows and then with the old drive with your crap of files that you do not want to share is used for backup.

Or just backup the files that you want to keep, formate the drive to it's gone and then install fresh OS :)

Another option, dump it, I mean if it's an HDD - you have to think about what life it has left. Still, they can last for over 10 years or so anyway.