Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Finding Staff

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
It's always a bit hard at the start of the forum because you get people that are eager but can't always commit to the job so it's a bit of a hard task to find some staff. But once your forum is developed a bit more, it becomes a lot easier. The search for a moderator here was relatively easy because we had some great members from the community who applied.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
It's always a bit hard at the start of the forum because you get people that are eager but can't always commit to the job so it's a bit of a hard task to find some staff. But once your forum is developed a bit more, it becomes a lot easier. The search for a moderator here was relatively easy because we had some great members from the community who applied.

lucky you, I can't seem to find anyone for my gaming forum.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
lucky you, I can't seem to find anyone for my gaming forum.
Sometimes, it can just be a bit of luck though. With some of my previous forums, I've had awful luck with staff and usually just get users that don't care about the job.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Typically I'm not too into the idea of taking on staff, but at times this does cause me to run into issues as I do almost everything by myself.
If I were to expand the roster I'd probably look at members of the forum who have been good contributors & know how to show respect, I'd feel a bit iffy if I just recruited someone off a webmaster forum.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Typically I'm not too into the idea of taking on staff, but at times this does cause me to run into issues as I do almost everything by myself.
If I were to expand the roster I'd probably look at members of the forum who have been good contributors & know how to show respect, I'd feel a bit iffy if I just recruited someone off a webmaster forum.

it can go bad, but I've never had a bad experience if you do your homework on them.

ZandraJoi

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Website
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
Hubux
$1,990
Winbux
$0.00
I haven't had to have Staff on my forum yet. I prefer to do as much as I can on my own. Too much hassle with allowing people to come on & bickering.
However, I can see from other posts I've read on various forums, people have had trouble keeping GOOD Staff. Some just like having that title & don't do anything.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I haven't had to have Staff on my forum yet. I prefer to do as much as I can on my own. Too much hassle with allowing people to come on & bickering.
However, I can see from other posts I've read on various forums, people have had trouble keeping GOOD Staff. Some just like having that title & don't do anything.

yeah, only because they apply doesn't mean they really want it.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
90% of the time I tend to do everything myself. I say that the owner who runs the site tends to do most of the work him or herself since it makes sense. Most staff under the owner are mods for the front end.

For me, It's not just it's easy or hard finding the staff, it's making them being active is the hardest part. When you do get someone they are always at your face :p then after they get started and going, you think why do I even bother :p and they fad away.

I had one person, who was was up in arms about it, who wanted to join the team. I allow it and thought, Yep why not. Turns out that person was only posting. It was good seeing new content, not the content I wanted, it was mostly about the same content. Then doesn't know anything about the backend mod tools to the point that I was doing the job ;(

Another thing is that I have a long term mate that I meet over 6 years ago, never speak to him anymore and how he's still a mod on my site that never join not logged in for three years.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
90% of the time I tend to do everything myself. I say that the owner who runs the site tends to do most of the work him or herself since it makes sense. Most staff under the owner are mods for the front end.

For me, It's not just it's easy or hard finding the staff, it's making them being active is the hardest part. When you do get someone they are always at your face :p then after they get started and going, you think why do I even bother :p and they fad away.

I had one person, who was was up in arms about it, who wanted to join the team. I allow it and thought, Yep why not. Turns out that person was only posting. It was good seeing new content, not the content I wanted, it was mostly about the same content. Then doesn't know anything about the backend mod tools to the point that I was doing the job ;(

Another thing is that I have a long term mate that I meet over 6 years ago, never speak to him anymore and how he's still a mod on my site that never join not logged in for three years.

Wait, if he never logged in how is he a mod on your site?

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Wait, if he never logged in how is he a mod on your site?
Let's say from the very very start when the forum became alive with SMF back then, he was a part of the show.

I and he started it. Moved him down from Management to mod about 6 months ago.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
did have someone apply, only wanting to completely change our forum software. The madness.

There are some changes I'm willing to accept. It depends on what changes they're wanting to make. That right there is a pretty big decision and I think it should involve all the staff and not just one person making the decision. As the owner, I get that you're allowed to change that if you want, but I would at least give the staff the chance to give their input on it.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
There are some changes I'm willing to accept. It depends on what changes they're wanting to make. That right there is a pretty big decision and I think it should involve all the staff and not just one person making the decision. As the owner, I get that you're allowed to change that if you want, but I would at least give the staff the chance to give their input on it.

I'm always open to discussion, but anything on the level of changing forum software needs some high level persuasion debating.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Let's say from the very very start when the forum became alive with SMF back then, he was a part of the show.

I and he started it. Moved him down from Management to mod about 6 months ago.
Well, my first move on your forum when I get back to working on it is to get rid of this guy lol :p
did have someone apply, only wanting to completely change our forum software. The madness.
Ah, that guy lol. I was wondering what the hell that suggestion was about because it was a bit silly really. There were no clear benefits for the move and he didn't exactly sell it well

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Well, my first move on your forum when I get back to working on it is to get rid of this guy lol :p
Can be hard on me, You know, You got that feeling that you do not want to upset your mate, you known and meet since seven years ago and I and him started the site from the start....

It's like if remove he be pissed, then again he might not be, Maybe it is easy that you do it and not me, and say nothing :p He's been there for six long years now.