Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Forums Vs. Blogs

Nomad

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,245
Winbux
$0.00
I have a lot of experience with blogs, I built my first self-hosted blog in 2015, and currently, I have 19 blogs on different niches (I also have multi-niche blogs). However, I do not have a lot of experience with forums. My first forum was built on my multi-author blog. The forum was just a platform to discuss for in-house authors. Currently, I am running a forum. I have over 1000 members but only a dozen are active.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
No offense to anyone who blogs but I just cannot get into it. It's forums for me hands down.

ZandraJoi

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Website
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
Hubux
$1,985
Winbux
$0.00
That is quite impressive! How do you have time to manage all of them? What is your forum about? If any of you had to choose to have either a blog or forum, which would you start & why? I'd choose a forum. Blogs to me are more personal & don't get a lot of activity of people following you. I do know of some who incorporate both. Another idea people can try out is if you did have a forum, have blogs for the members who'd like to do it. I thought of that idea for my own if I got bigger. Of course, would be members only viewing to protect & respect privacy issues.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Stick with Forums myself anyway :) But I see blogging and having very good content gets you real traffic and those that are interested then can use forums to keep the discussion going.

DO you do your own blogs or anyone submits there own blog of there subject choice>

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
No offense to anyone who blogs but I just cannot get into it. It's forums for me hands down.
When you have a small blog, especially at the start, it can definitely be quite boring so I know what you mean. It feels like you're talking to yourself sometimes lol

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I think each has its own purpose. Blogs are more geared to hosting information where forums encourages more engagement in my opinion. I've tried my hand at both and I just enjoy forums more myself.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I think each has its own purpose. Blogs are more geared to hosting information where forums encourages more engagement in my opinion. I've tried my hand at both and I just enjoy forums more myself.
Yeah, it helps a lot at the start that it's just a little easier to set up and encourage a few users to jump on to your forum. It's a bit harder to get people to engage with a blog when it's brand new.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah, it helps a lot at the start that it's just a little easier to set up and encourage a few users to jump on to your forum. It's a bit harder to get people to engage with a blog when it's brand new.

Yes, and you have to have a topic/genre that other folks are genuinely curious or enthused about in a blog. In a way it's easier on forums because it's designed for members to interact with each other. Comments section in a blog is more of a nice-to-have.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I used to keep one running and posted fairly consistently, but then I accidentally broke the cycle and I ended up forgetting to update it, so now it’s abandoned.
To keep a blog alive you must have a group of writers, with yourself only.. it's destined to fail sooner or later :(

Kyng

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,256
Winbux
$0.00
Not really sure how you can compare the two... they're just completely different things, designed for different purposes.

Myself, I love forums, and I don't mind reading other people's - but when I tried to start a blog of my own, I quickly ran out of things to blog about.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
It sucks when you break your “schedule”because you forgot, and then you have to force yourself to remember.
Also when you're not inspired to write something that inspires is also bad.