Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Free Hosting Vs. Paid Hosting

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
Do you think free hosting is good? Are you currently using free hosting for your website? I think free hosting is fine for someone just starting out, but I feel most free hosts have too many limitations. Plus free forum hosts usually aren't willing to give you a database for your site, even if you request to pay for it. I've used free hosting on a few sites, but I prefer paid hosting. You get your money's worth, plus if you self host you're in control of every aspect of your forum/site.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Free hosting is not bad if you're new to the world of websites or if you just don't have the funds for paid hosting. Other than that, there really is no point going for free hosting because they aren't reliable and you'll end up with too many problems to even count.

Paid hosting is not too expensive nowadays either especially because there are so many companies out there willing to compete with each other.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
A lot of times, free web hosting and paid hosting offers the same security, network bandwidth and port speed. The only difference is the hosting features included. These features include additional disk storage, data transfer, more scripting support, more email accounts, etc.

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I think it's funny that almost all free hosts claim they have "unlimited bandwidth, unlimited MySQL databases" etc. then you take a look at the CP and there's obviously a limit. xD For free forum hosts my favorite is Jcink since you can get a database of your forum if you wish to move to self hosting.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
Actually, there is a lot of dirt cheap paid hosting, so it's not really worth it to go free. I mean, what I got now is only $2 a month for reseller. It works fine, considering very little traffic coming in - and I simply don't have to deal with the cons of free.

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,460
Winbux
$0.00
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Do you think free hosting is good? Are you currently using free hosting for your website? I think free hosting is fine for someone just starting out, but I feel most free hosts have too many limitations. Plus free forum hosts usually aren't willing to give you a database for your site, even if you request to pay for it. I've used free hosting on a few sites, but I prefer paid hosting. You get your money's worth, plus if you self host you're in control of every aspect of your forum/site.
I've always used paid hosting (since my first site in 1997). You have more control, no forced ads, and better support. I'd only suggest "free" hosting if you are broke or aren't serious about your site.

Zap

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
forumdb.net
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
Free hosting is god-given if you're new to the whole webmaster game and need an arena to play around at without having to invest. But if you're serious about a project there are just too many limitations to free hosts.

Nova

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$186
Winbux
$0.00
I spent years into the free hosting and my experience was worst. And eventually I moved to the paid hosting and it was a good experience for me. I don't know if I would ever go back to free hosting because I hope to just pay and move on with the work. I can't spend more time into free hosting drama.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
Free hosting is okay if you're someone who can't afford to spend any money on it. I've seen some pretty nice communities on free hosting. They're not all bad. It depends on who is behind it all and the amount of work they're willing to put into it.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
Free with ads should have power to compensate for the ads. However, other ad-free stuff could be limiting somewhat, but I've seen some that promise unlimited etc.. and hope people will upgrade for something, I don't know what, lol.