Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Gaming: A Good Investment?

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
Do you view gaming as being a good potential investment? It's not hard to see that some games have gone on to become extremely rare and jump in value accordingly while other games are and likely will always be worth next to nothing. Do you think gaming is a worthwhile investment?

Personally I believe it was a worthwhile investment until this past couple of years or so, as prices have skyrocketed and it's become very difficult to find deals anywhere. That said, it is still possible to get in on the ground floor with things like the Wii U and specific games. I've found some great deals in my hunts, some I paid pennies for and are worth a decent amount today, so deals are out there, just extremely hard to come by! Does anyone else collect? Do you view it as a good investment, or just something you're passionate about?

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I look at having video games as a hobby as a savings opportunity. The money I spend on gaming is money/time I'm not spending on food, travel, and other expenses that comes from leaving the house for leisure.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah it can be so long as you take good care of your stuff and don't throw any manuals etc out. For instance I've a copy of "Alundra" on the PS1 which is quite expensive but my parents threw out all our game boxes when we were kids cos we had those CD carrier book things, and the disc on it's own wouldn't be worth a ton.

But my Megami Tensei collection on the other hand, I only buy complete-in-box, so if I were ever to sell that off I'd be looking at a couple grand easy.

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
Well yeh if you can get your hands on rare game boxes. If not, as Sharon says, it's good to save money because you will sit at home playing games instead of spending money going out.

Nova

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$186
Winbux
$0.00
I view the gaming as a consumption and not an investment. Because investment means I get some returns which I don't. I have not managed to monetize my content on any gaming channel or pages.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Just my two cents: I think gaming stocks can be great growth stocks but as someone already pointed out they are overvalued at the moment. You should also read Hindenburg's research on DraftKings. I have taken a different approach to take advantage of online gaming and betting. I am investing in payment providers for those companies. The more the people play and bet the more they will use the payment services. The more they use the payment services the more revenue will be generated by those payments providers. Again, this is just my thinking. I'll be happy to hear opposing ideas.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Collecting stuff is not an investment, anything that doesnt give you money back is a spentful hobby.

Even though i love collecting sneakers and music LPs or CDs, the real worth is meaningless for your potential buyer.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I see gaming as a hobby. It's something I like to do in my spare time.

Like Demon said, it can be if you can get your hands on an unused copy of a game that's rare.