Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

How did you get into programming and coding?

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
What was your first language? Did you study it professionally or learn by goo old fashioned research and practice?

catgirl

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$135
Winbux
$0.00
I started with HTML with I was like 9 and then did scripting throughout my teenage years on and off. Then in college my studying ramped up and now I know loads of programming languages and am a reasonably successful developer. I'm in the processing of learning MIPS Assembly & C++ as I want to work as a Kernel Software Engineer one day.

Masterminor

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hubux
$1,125
Winbux
$1.00
I started learning when I was 15 through a website called Khan Academy that actually teaches you how to code as well as many other subjects like math, science, standardized test prep, etc. My first language was Java Script and I'm pretty ok at it. I'm currently learning CSS and HTML.

catgirl

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$135
Winbux
$0.00
I started learning when I was 15 through a website called Khan Academy that actually teaches you how to code as well as many other subjects like math, science, standardized test prep, etc. My first language was Java Script and I'm pretty ok at it. I'm currently learning CSS and HTML.
Khan Academy is a pretty good resource :)

Mastersly

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$122
Winbux
$0.00
I started learning HTML and CSS when I creating my first forum at the age 15,
It did really well for my first forum, About 3k Member in a month but I had to sell it because it was a warez forum

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
My first touch with programing was in college. We started with QBasic since nobody didn't know anything before. Later we start learning HTML in Web Expression. The next step was ASP.NET with Visual Basic and making a simple website in Visual Studio. Later was one semester with SQL on MS SQL Server. This was everything from school. Later I learn some basics of Python, Javscript, little more PHP, Wordpress. I did some stuff fine Joomla one time. Currently I do some custom scripts in PHP for Wordpress.

catgirl

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$135
Winbux
$0.00
My first touch with programing was in college. We started with QBasic since nobody didn't know anything before. Later we start learning HTML in Web Expression. The next step was ASP.NET with Visual Basic and making a simple website in Visual Studio. Later was one semester with SQL on MS SQL Server. This was everything from school. Later I learn some basics of Python, Javscript, little more PHP, Wordpress. I did some stuff fine Joomla one time. Currently I do some custom scripts in PHP for Wordpress.
PHP has been an interesting stack for me. I've had a love hate relationship with the language. I am trying to give modern PHP a fair chance before I write the entire language off.

Lord Saru

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$111
Winbux
$0.00
I was motivated to learn coding after met another boy, younger than me, who had designed a forum and mastered the art of HTML and CSS.

I was under the impression that if he could do it, then why cant I do it too? I couldnt take computer science in school because I was more of a biology person but I was sufficiently motivated in trying at coding on my own.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I just liked computers and websites so I guess it made sense for me to go down the Computer Science route. I coded for the first time in school and it just grew from there. And now here I am doing CS at uni.

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I started hacking Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis back in 2009 and it was during this time I learned a bit of 68k assembler. This peaked my interest in programming as a whole, and so I went to college for a bit and took a course in C#. I never managed to pass the class though, and never really made anything impressive with C#... Then I started teaching myself z80 assembler and started hacking the Sonic games for the Sega Master System and Game Gear. I know a tiny bit of C++ and Python as well, again I've never really stuck to it as much as I wish I did so when I get the urge to start programming I typically start from the beginning by making a "Hello World" program. :V

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
A buddy from church was into all that stuff and around the same time I had bought a "webstore in a box" thing. Anyway, this eventually lead to programming classes at college and also to my web development career, sort of. Well, I worked for myself, making decent side-money until 2011.

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I've been getting really comfortable with python and have recently moved on to PHP.

I've been alright with HTML and CSS for a few years now.