Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

How did you learn how to code?

DudeThatsErin

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$897
Winbux
$0.00
I am self taught with trial and error and using w3schools. I've been coding since I was 13.

What about you?

vans

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$808
Winbux
$0.00
I'm currently learning online on a Cambridge course. Worst thing is that I lack of time so I'm doing it in baby steps.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
I can't code as good as I could before. However, I learned a lot of code from self-help books and also from taking courses at a community college. I also took a course in Python at a state university.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
I had an inherit knowledge of the absolute basics (foreach loops, switches, variables & arrays etc) from Bash, which is super simple to get the hang of once you familiarize yourself with the different commands.

As for actually furthering my PHP knowledge, it was mostly when I got my Xenforo license and I started messing about. Started with basic template edits to get familiar with the build system and then I figured out the actual PHP side by comparing Xenforo's source code to the various (well written) addons out there, you start to spot the patterns and how it all works begins to click.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Im currently learning to modify XenForo. I have built a bespoke add on and it seems pretty simple. I wouldn’t say I am fluent, but I am learning by reading the existing code.
That sounds awesome. Never tried to mess around with XF but I would love to be able to develop a few simple addons for DH. What was the addon that you make for LS (if you want to share ;))?
I learned a lot by just reading the add-ons other people have written for xenforo. :)
Did the same for HTML and CSS actually. I learnt quite a bit by looking at the source code of some big sites

Lee

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,040
Winbux
$0.00
That sounds awesome. Never tried to mess around with XF but I would love to be able to develop a few simple addons for DH. What was the addon that you make for LS (if you want to share ;))?

Did the same for HTML and CSS actually. I learnt quite a bit by looking at the source code of some big sites

I made a thought Journal :)