Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

How do you pick staff?

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
Are there any key characteristics or qualities that you look for in your potential staff members?
Do you take in staff applications before promoting a member to staff?
At what point do you think your site requires a "staff member"?

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I had my staff approach me for work and I've been lucky to have the best two so far. The two I have are familiar with the software so that helped.

Let me know when I can steal them :p

But I've never had much luck with staff, well a few good ones but they never lasted. I just ask around, check how they act on other forums and go from there.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
It comes when it comes. It isn't like to pick the most helpful and active person on the site. That's not always the case. A had couple came to be and then they left freewill and or I just look dor, someone, in the past but didn't bother getting right onto the deal.

One day you will find the right person for the job

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I tend to check Forum Promotion for users looking to join a community or I'll post a thread looking for some staff members as well. I knew @Jordan from a previous project so he was an easy pick. I can't remember if I contacted @Hungry Ego first or if he messaged me after seeing one of my messages ?

I usually check out their content, see what they are like and then make a decision from there. I think it's important to be slightly picky with your staff members because it's important that you don't just pick someone that posts a lot but has poor quality content.

JoyFreak

Gaming
Reaction score
Website
www.joyfreak.com
Hubux
$1,283
Winbux
$0.00
Let me know when I can steal them :p

But I've never had much luck with staff, well a few good ones but they never lasted. I just ask around, check how they act on other forums and go from there.
Haha, you'll be waiting a long time because they are faithful. No for real, I'm so lucky they ended up at my forum and asking for the work. I look after my staff. :)

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I tend to check Forum Promotion for users looking to join a community or I'll post a thread looking for some staff members as well. I knew @Jordan from a previous project so he was an easy pick. I can't remember if I contacted @Hungry Ego first or if he messaged me after seeing one of my messages ?

I usually check out their content, see what they are like and then make a decision from there. I think it's important to be slightly picky with your staff members because it's important that you don't just pick someone that posts a lot but has poor quality content.

FP used to be a great site for staff, but now these days its hard to get anyone from the site without paying a lot.

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
Well, if I were to get staff for my own forums, and not for someone else, I generally will see if the person involved (whether I am seeking them to be staff, or they send in an application for it), is potentially active, and has had some experience in previously being on the type of forum I am looking to add staff on. And honestly, quality posts is one of the things I do check to see being made, as I would rather have someone that would write out thoughtfully made posts, over someone who is able to make 100 posts in under an hour, just to put out a post count.

Jason

Troubleshooter
Reaction score
Website
webmasterchill.com
Hubux
$218
Winbux
$0.00
I never had the experience of selecting a staff for my project. Most of the work was done by me and many projects life span was short. Maybe i need to learn from you all.

Jordan

Tech Support
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,371
Winbux
$0.00
I mostly have staff approach me. If I start a project and it requires technical knowledge, like my current projects, I normally approach people I have met over the years. It's better that way when you personally know their set of skills.

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Hubux
$94
Winbux
$0.00
My golden rule is, if someone asks to be staff say no. Unless you're actively seeking and they apply through a process. Other than that I pick staff based on activity and subject area knowledge. There's no other way to do it really.

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
I prefer to be the only staff as a lot of the time staff aren't reliable. I remember being in a forum created by myself and 3 others. In the end it was only me putting all the effort in so I don't bother with staff anymore.

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
Let me answer each question one by one.

1. Yes, I look for candidates with a strong worth ethic, superb written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work as part as a team.

2. Yes.

3. Usually when the webpage, forum, or blog starts to become active and my current team members cannot handle the increasing workload.

Abizaga

GeezeZone
Resident Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
geezezone.com
Hubux
$1,338
Winbux
$0.00
I used to run a forum and had a bad time giving others large amounta of power and I don't truat people as much anymore.

JoyFreak

Gaming
Reaction score
Website
www.joyfreak.com
Hubux
$1,283
Winbux
$0.00
The staff make up the website/community and you need to pick your staff carefully. They need to be trustworthy, determined and professional individuals who also like to have fun.

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
Depends on how dedicated they seem to be to the project, if they're really hyped up and excited for it. I have a few people like this feel this way about Revillution, who will probably eventually be joining the staff ranks in one form or another. Being active is also very important.

Joshua Farrell

Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
When I used to actively be engaged in helping others out with hiring, you wouldn't believe how many people I had to go through, in order to figure out the typical signs of people who just want the position, just for the position. Had to develop a thick skin to get through that. Had to develop even thicker skin to deal with those people who got those positions, gunning for what I have. People who I thought I could trust on a number of occasions, ended up betraying me, just to help someone get a staff position they wanted, which eventually caused them to get demoted, due to their behavior regarding doing the work.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
If someone likes being on your forum to begin with and isn't a trouble maker, that's usually a good sign.

I've also found a couple of people on FP before.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Everything reduces to the confidence i have with the individual, if i see somewhere he/she behaves shady, i wouldn't give the opportunity.