Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

M.2 SSD

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
When buying a computer or laptop most of advanced users will not even look it, if it doesn't have slots for SSD or SSD embed already. SSD becomes standard and HDD is losing his part on the market.
But changes are already here and on new motherboards we can find the M.2 SSD disk.
SSD can get 600MB/s writing sped but M.2 can get 6GB/s speed. That is much faster. This is already present in gaming computers and expensive for business laptops. It is not widespread, so this new thing which comes to market.
For older motherboards, there is adapter for it.

m2-ssd-spajanje.jpg

What do you think about it? Do you plan upgrade your motherboard or choose new with this slot?

Jason

Troubleshooter
Reaction score
Website
webmasterchill.com
Hubux
$218
Winbux
$0.00
Wow that is really awesome, currently i am using SSD for 4 months and i am happy with its read and write speed. And now M.2 SSD that to super fast i believe hosting companies will adapt this soon.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
Hosting compnies already implement it. They must have fast servers. When you look hosting, search for NVMe mark. It stands for Non-Volatile Memory Express. This image shows how bigger is difference in speed between SATA and NVMe connector.

sustained-throughput-100763047-orig.jpg

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
My board doesn't even support M.2 drive slot unless I get a clipboard to connect to it and it is next to my GPU.

Yes M.2 drives are far more faster then other SSD, but even then my SSD are just as good since they are Samsungs and they are still just as fast

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
My board doesn't even support M.2 drive slot unless I get a clipboard to connect to it and it is next to my GPU.

M.2 is on market for maybe 2 years. It is not widespread and many that fact look as flaw so far in sence of no big support. Same reason is for making adapter for older motherboardes.

How old is your motherboard?

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
I just upgraded the HDD in my laptop to an SSD and i'm loving it.

The HDD was super slow :(

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
I have been considering updating to a SSD for awhile now, but never had the money for it, due to the costs of it way back when. But I have been noticing some drop in price over the years. Might get myself one when I do decide to do an official update to my desktop.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
It's an X79 motherboard with the 2011 socket-based. So if you looked into that, you will have your answer :p I already have 500GB and 1TB SSD plus 3TB HDD

But it still works, right? My oldes motherboard in Acer laptop is from 2015. I don't know model.

Why do you need so much drive space? Games, server or just many backups?

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
But it still works, right? My oldes motherboard in Acer laptop is from 2015. I don't know model.

Why do you need so much drive space? Games, server or just many backups?
500gb for the OS, 1tb just for flight sims, 1tb for backup files, and whatnot and the 2tb for games. and still not enough

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Isn't this little to much for OS? What OS you have have? Maybe dual boot or this include all installed programs with clean OS?
It is but I just don;t have the OS on it LOL

I use it for the OS but it has almost 200GB of other software also that tends to run far better than being on the HDD

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
I am currently having 2x1TB M.2 SSD in my Machine and 2x10TB HDD. So yeah its fast what should I say :)

Another user with gian disks here. What you doing with yours? Are you not fan of Google Drive or Onedrive service, in general cloud computing storage space?

Funkel

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Website
www.minecom.org
Hubux
$1,388
Winbux
$0.00
Another user with gian disks here. What you doing with yours? Are you not fan of Google Drive or Onedrive service, in general cloud computing storage space?

I could use clouds but I don't have the best internet connection and uploading files from 10-100GB is no fun either. Unfortunately I can't get a better line here with me which is not the big problem because of the hard drives. In addition to that I have a NAS at home with 50TB where I have some things on it storage. I need the whole thing for videos and some other stuff.