Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Marijuana: Should it be legal?

T

Taylor

What about people that don't want to smell it or be exposed to it because their jobs could be jeopardized by the smell on their clothing? I understand people want it legalized and sure, that's fine and dandy; but, there has to be lines drawn to where people can and cannot smoke it so that those of us, like me, who don't want to smell or be exposed to it can go.

Most jobs now a days actually aren't screening for Weed anymore. Heck the biggest drug testing company (in my opinion), Walmart, doesn't even do drug tests at all anymore. Neither does the bank / auto finance company I work for. These jobs and others also don't really do anything if you have the smell on you.

And to counter your smell point, what about the people that go out of the building and smoke Cigarettes? IMO cigarettes smell way worse than any strain of marijuana on the planet.

Sure it should still be set by job standards that you shouldn't come into work high just like they say you can't come in drunk. Just like drinking though that doesn't stop people from going out on their lunch break and getting a few beers or even a few mixed drinks (I have seen way more do this than go and smoke on their lunch break, which I have done but I can still function just as well high as I can sober).

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Most jobs now a days actually aren't screening for Weed anymore. Heck the biggest drug testing company (in my opinion), Walmart, doesn't even do drug tests at all anymore. Neither does the bank / auto finance company I work for. These jobs and others also don't really do anything if you have the smell on you.

And to counter your smell point, what about the people that go out of the building and smoke Cigarettes? IMO cigarettes smell way worse than any strain of marijuana on the planet.

Sure it should still be set by job standards that you shouldn't come into work high just like they say you can't come in drunk. Just like drinking though that doesn't stop people from going out on their lunch break and getting a few beers or even a few mixed drinks (I have seen way more do this than go and smoke on their lunch break, which I have done but I can still function just as well high as I can sober).
I work for the government and yes, you can get in serious trouble or even fired for having the smell of weed or other drugs on you and a dog hitting on it. I won't say what I do for work; but, I refuse to be around or associated with marijuana because while states are legalizing it, it is still illegal nationally and that's the rules I have to abide by.

I also abhor cigarettes and have no problem telling people to move away and not to smoke near the entryways or around me. So you admit to breaking the law and smoking, becoming impaired (albeit remaining fine in your eyes) and continuing to work? What will happen when there's an accident and they drug test you to find out you're impaired?

T

Taylor

I work for the government and yes, you can get in serious trouble or even fired for having the smell of weed or other drugs on you and a dog hitting on it.
Well see you're an entirely different case, I don't ever see the govt not testing for drugs (tbh im suprised they don't test to see if someone is drunk either).

I also abhor cigarettes and have no problem telling people to move away and not to smoke near the entryways or around me
This is coming from someone who has only ever taken a puff of a cigarette once (when I was like 5 I snuck one) and only started smoking maybe 3/4 years ago (am 27 this year). Cigarette smoke is so so so so much worse when it comes to smell and clinging to someones clothes.

So you admit to breaking the law and smoking, becoming impaired (albeit remaining fine in your eyes) and continuing to work? What will happen when there's an accident and they drug test you to find out you're impaired?
I'm pretty sure there aren't any laws when it comes to being impaired (alcohol or drugs) and working. It's most definitely against job policy that I agree with. Luckily for me I work at a desk and right now from home though so I don't forsee any accidents and I never smoke to what I guess we can call a full high (maybe saying I only smoke to the equivalent of a small small buzz from drinking is better here) during the work day. I would take a hit or 2 on lunch to cool off (job is stressful) and usually be already down from my high or coming down by the time I got back from lunch.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Exactly, I will not chance my job for someone else's pleasure. I understand that it benefits people and can help others and I'm not opposed to it on that aspect; but, I personally don't see any use of it nor will I ever use it. You have every right to do so, for I hold no sway or authority over you; but, I would recommend caution on basing your argument on experiences you have had and not factual/scientifically proven ones.

T

Taylor

I just think you may be judging a book by it's cover here but as you said I have every right to use it and enjoy it you have just as every right to not want to and not care for it.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
I just think you may be judging a book by it's cover here but as you said I have every right to use it and enjoy it you have just as every right to not want to and not care for it.

giphy.gif

I'm not going to change my opinion or dislike of the product; but, I am willing to have my opinion altered with the knowledge that it can prove to be beneficial to a lot of people in a lot of pain.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
What about people that don't want to smell it or be exposed to it because their jobs could be jeopardized by the smell on their clothing? I understand people want it legalized and sure, that's fine and dandy; but, there has to be lines drawn to where people can and cannot smoke it so that those of us, like me, who don't want to smell or be exposed to it can go.
I personally only smoke it from the privacy of my own balcony. I agree that people should not be subjected to it if they don't want to. But I am happy that it is not a crime for me to light one up from the comfort and safety of my own home, which let's be honest, I've been spending a lot of time at these past few months. The munchies are hella dangerous though.

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
I am for the side that would love to have it legalized.

Why should we be able to be sold alcohol that does more and way worse things to our body (weed doesn't even really negatively effect anyone...) but not something like this?

Sooner or later it will be legalized in every state and I really can't wait for that. I actually have a dream/ambition to start a dispensary that grows it's own everything as a side thing when it finally is legal here in my state.

I also can't wait to not have to worry about accidentally having it on my person one day when I leave my house (never have it on my person at all) or even being able to walk down the street smoking a blunt (visited Denver and that was actually a surreal experience).

In my opinion if people were more properly educated on marijuana to a better point of understanding they wouldn't feel so negatively against it at all.

Just because something else bad is legal does not mean we should go ahead and legalise other bad things.

Smoking and alcohol, by rights, should be banned as well as they are just as dangerous, if not worse.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
I personally only smoke it from the privacy of my own balcony. I agree that people should not be subjected to it if they don't want to. But I am happy that it is not a crime for me to light one up from the comfort and safety of my own home, which let's be honest, I've been spending a lot of time at these past few months. The munchies are hella dangerous though.
This I can stand behind. You're not harming anyone by smoking, you're not breathing it on me, win-win.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
This I can stand behind. You're not harming anyone by smoking, you're not breathing it on me, win-win.
Also, if I notice one of my neighbours coming outside to enjoy their balconies, I will stop smoking and come back later. So I like to think my neighbours notice and respect that as well. Luckily, I have been pretty good with my neighbours so far.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
If only more of the youth were like you, most of them light up wherever and whenever they want to, regardless of who is around or the wishes of those same people.

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
Unfortunately the smell of marijuana is quite strong. There's a guy with medical issues at the top of my street that smokes it. You can smell it down the street when he smokes it.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
I didn't realize it traveled that far

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
I didn't realize it traveled that far

Yeah, it's a lot stronger compared to cigarette smell. I remember often smelling marijuana smell long after those who'd smoked it had gone, in shops.

I imagine the smell potency may change with strain and how much is packed into a blunt though.

sunflowerlover

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,732
Winbux
$0.00
I won't be doing it regardless if it's legal or not. Just my personal choice, I'm sorry.

I believe using it alters your mental state to the point that you can't do normal everything things, especially if used in a high disage. Plus, I don't want to have my mind altered to the point that I can't function normally. I'm a female and I've heard so many stories about people taking advantage of someone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
I agree,it is legal where I live,you just go to the doctors office,get a card and you can smoke pot legally.

Grungie

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,451
Winbux
$0.00
Weed’s less destructive than alcohol.

I do think it’s hilarious that people keep trying to push that it’s not addictive, despite using all of these synonyms (like weed habit) as a way to dance around it. Like, how many different ways can we say someone’s addicted without actually saying it’s addictive?

Scott

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,043
Winbux
$0.00
I live in Canada so it's already legal here, but yes I believe it should be legal everywhere with the same/similar restrictions that alcohol has.

I smoke it, usually at night and on my own since it helps me relax and with my back pain.
You can't compare the side effects of both alcoholic beverages and Cannabis as the same thing. The latter is more dangerous. It's going to be very difficult to put restrictions on it like alcohol.