Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Moving to a new house/apartment

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
What are the first things you do when moving to a new house/apartment?

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Moved 11 times in my life and looking at moving again in the next two years. So that being said I have experienced.
  1. Once you have the house of whatever you have then I would pack as much as I can before the date when you get kicked out. Plan on the best method regards having to move to storage and be at the hotel for weeks.
  2. Most of the time when moving to a new home needs a new kitchen or bathroom or whatever, spend time doing it. However, if you are moving to another rented house then no point, just move in.
  3. PC and gaming gear is not in important to have and so pack them well.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I get as much as I can packed into the house before I actually move myself and my family in.

I also make sure I have the utilities turned on before moving in as well.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
We are in the middle of a move right now. First thing I like to do is set up the internet. :D
I don't know how it works in other countries but in the UK, it takes a week or two to set up the internet at your new place which is extremely annoying. The only way to get around that is if you manage to let them know before you move in but that's not always possible.

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,499
Winbux
$0.00
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Oh wow. You can get internet at a new place in like 24 hours if it's pre-wired here. But depends on the area. Not all areas are as "advanced"....

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
First off, hate moving. For what I do, try and get into the new place as soon as possible to do my own cleaning and set up anything in advance like utilities, stuff we'll need there and move any small items.

Days before, pack up anything I don't use and move it to a spot that can be gotten to during or after the major moving.

Day before, finish packing up most of the stuff and start disconnecting all electronics.

Day of move, get some or all electronics over quickly so it can be hooked up. Then hurry back as someone comes with an uhaul to move all the big items.

Once big items are done, start moving over other things if time or strength allows and then start cleaning old place. After that organize new place and then start counting down till the next move :p

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,499
Winbux
$0.00
We're leaving most big stuff here. Couch, beds, desks, etc. We are planning on living out of a large SUV/truck for a bit to save up. Doing this, we can save like $1000 a month....

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$691
Winbux
$0.00
We're leaving most big stuff here. Couch, beds, desks, etc. We are planning on living out of a large SUV/truck for a bit to save up. Doing this, we can save like $1000 a month....

That doesn't sound very comfortable. Where are you guys moving off to?

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,499
Winbux
$0.00
It will certainly be an adjustment. But my g/f has researched it for years, and it is her dream. We wanted a passenger van, but opted for the truck since it was cheaper and no credit check. It has 3 rows of seats, and all the bells and whistles. I am happy!

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
It will certainly be an adjustment. But my g/f has researched it for years, and it is her dream. We wanted a passenger van, but opted for the truck since it was cheaper and no credit check. It has 3 rows of seats, and all the bells and whistles. I am happy!

hopefully the dream don't turn to a nightmare. At least you won't have to worry about much.

I know next time I move, I'm hiring people to do it, no matter the cost. My back can't take another move.

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,499
Winbux
$0.00
hopefully the dream don't turn to a nightmare. At least you won't have to worry about much.

I know next time I move, I'm hiring people to do it, no matter the cost. My back can't take another move.
We considered hiring movers, but since the house is infested with bed bugs, we decided to leave everything, except the absolute essentials....

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,499
Winbux
$0.00
I'm in full agreement with you on that. That stuff is as good as gone. I'd freak out if I found out my bed had bed bugs. I'd take it out to the backyard and torch it.
We thought about that. lol Thankfully,, our mattress (which is fairly new) is covered in a water and bug proof cover.
So we are hoping we can salvage it. But everything else, No. Oh, and don't forget about the flooding, and the black mold along the wall in one of the rooms. *sighs
Post automatically merged:

yikes, sounds like its time for some gas and fire :p I knew some people who got it and was rather costly.
haha I hear ya man. :D

bestwriter

Leader among Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
grouie.blogspot.com
Hubux
$434
Winbux
$5.00
We did that a few years ago. Once the trucks arrived with our stuff it was unloaded and instructons given where to unload them.

We then called the priest the bless the house, The formal house warming was arranged later.