Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

"No One Wants To Work" Movement.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$709
Winbux
$0.00
What are your thoughts towards the "No One Wants To Work" Movement?

I've run into this in my hometown. There's a restaurant that closed down because they were too short staffed and one who doesn't stay open all day because they can't find people who will stay on.

The latest trend at companies who pay low wages is to post signs saying that they can’t find anyone who wants to work.

Two ex-Dollar General workers, who were apparently fed up with their employer, used the tactic of signs on windows to shame the company right after quitting.

One of the employees tweeted, “Got real tired of all those ‘no one wants to work’ signs on closing stores. This is how my coworker and I quit our job today. Speak truth to power!”

As businesses reopen across the U.S. and more people begin to venture out of their homes again after getting vaccinated, the nation has been hit with a fairly significant staffing shortage, with signs popping up outside of stores and restaurants everywhere asking customers to be patient.

Many of these signs also claim that “no one wants to work anymore” and the people who make a profit from the labor of the working class are pushing the idea that increased pandemic-era unemployment benefits are to blame.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
There is a crap ton of places that are hiring in my town because too many people are collecting unemployment. See.....on unemployment, you not only get whatever unemployment pays you but you get an extra $300 on top of that. So a lot of people are getting paid more money to stay at home on unemployment instead of going to work. Well, the governor of my state just announced a couple of days ago that they're going to quit offering the extra $300 you get with the unemployment so maybe there will be people willing to go back to work.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Same with my state and hitting a few of my favorite places which the governor is also cutting the extra money.

Though I won't blame it all on the extra money from the government, if a lot of these places offered better pay/perks and full time, maybe they wouldn't be struggling?

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
if a lot of these places offered better pay/perks and full time, maybe they wouldn't be struggling?
It isn't fair for someone to be paid $15/hour for a no-skills job. I had to go to college, work part-time, often at various locations for seasonal employment and more often than not halfway across the country to get the experience to earn the wage that I have.

How is it fair for someone working at Dollar General, Wal-Mart or the like to be paid the same as what I had to work to earn, starting out?

If they want to be paid more money, they should earn skills, go to a trade school or make themselves marketable. There's no one who should be just given something. Even privately owned companies pay their employees what they're worth.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
It isn't fair for someone to be paid $15/hour for a no-skills job. I had to go to college, work part-time, often at various locations for seasonal employment and more often than not halfway across the country to get the experience to earn the wage that I have.

How is it fair for someone working at Dollar General, Wal-Mart or the like to be paid the same as what I had to work to earn, starting out?

If they want to be paid more money, they should earn skills, go to a trade school or make themselves marketable. There's no one who should be just given something. Even privately owned companies pay their employees what they're worth.

School and advance skills is not for everyone, and when it comes to places like Walmart or any other grocery type stores, they need full time employees who are treated right and earn the proper wage so those stores can run like they should. I'm not saying they should be paid like a network admin but they are a vital part to society and I like to point out I'm talking stores, not fast food which don't need the high pay increase they are demanding.

To point out a major flaw in your argument as well, if everyone did get degrees there wouldn't be enough high-end jobs, placing those with degrees into serve debt and low end jobs.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
To point out a major flaw in your argument as well, if everyone did get degrees there wouldn't be enough high-end jobs, placing those with degrees into serve debt and low end jobs.
If they want to earn more money in supermarkets or grocery stores, then they need to work their way up the management chain. They were never intended to long-term, career positions. They are and will always be entry level positions to introduce high school and college individuals to the workforce.

And to counter your argument about Wal-Mart and such. They will never agree to that. They would rather find further methods to automate positions. Look at McDonald's. They're going the touch screen for order route, minimizing the error in customer orders and speeding up the process. It also removes one job to free up funds to pay for that $15/hr wage they're demanding.

Did you fail to note how I said that trade jobs are there as well? Trade jobs are far more important than most degree jobs. Do you really need a degree to teach children? I don't think so. It takes someone who understands people and knows how to help people learn at their own pace.

A trade job such as electrician or plumber can eventually dictate their own value and the price of their work, after they complete their journeyman status and end their apprenticeship.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
A trade job such as electrician or plumber can eventually dictate their own value and the price of their work, after they complete their journeyman status and end their apprenticeship.

In a flooded market their skills would be considered worthless. Got a few pals in the graphic design industry who have to travel far to find any work to make ends meet for one example.

Also we can't forget it's no longer the same market as it was in the 90s and before, lots of older people working these entry level jobs due to being forced out or losing their main jobs or need that extra cash to make ends meet due to high prices of something they need like medication.

Bluezone777

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,085
Winbux
$0.00
The only reason any job isn't paying minimum wage is that the worker is both needed and difficult to replace. You take any high paying job and stuff the area full of people willing and able to work that job and you can just watch those salary rates plummet. Once an employer figures out that he can pay you next to nothing because he knows there are 50 plus people just waiting to snap up the job if you were to leave is the day your salary starts to plummet. There is also the issue that many jobs only hire part time to avoid having to dole out benefits which is discouraging for workers looking for a job that will put food on the table and a roof over their head. Why would or should anyone just take a job just to have one if that job isn't going to put food on the table and keep a roof over their head? I think the title would be best written as " not willing to work part time with no benefits for peanuts movement".

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
I think the title would be best written as " not willing to work part time with no benefits for peanuts movement".
To which I disagree. You don't make enough to put a roof over your head? Go to school. Get a trade job, start a second job. Learn skills that make you worth more. Work your way up the chain. There is no reason someone who stocks shelves deserves $15/hr. The day that happens is the day I demand twice that because I went to college, I traveled, I worked to better myself and find a job that pays a livable wage and even then I started out making barely anything and through progression earn what I do now.

In a flooded market their skills would be considered worthless. Got a few pals in the graphic design industry who have to travel far to find any work to make ends meet for one example.
Graphic design is the same as women gender studies. There are 50 people who can do the same thing. You have to earn your clients and people can't justify spending the money on someone who only does a job here or there. I've asked graphic designers for a quote on a book cover and the quote is ridiculous. They're not even physically doing the book. Hard to get work when you charge such high prices and don't consistently get work.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$709
Winbux
$0.00
I think everyone deserves to make a fair living. What Wal-Mart and some of these places are paying isn't enough for anyone to support themselves or their families on. These places are capable of paying people to work full time. Instead they hire multiple people. Pay them a shit wage and cut their hours so they don't have to give them benefits. I personally don't think that is right.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I'm just curious when the bubble will pop, when people have debt to pay, no money because they held out on getting a job and work starts to get tight again.

That's a good question.

You can't really blame anyone if you are unable to get a job. Right now, you can't go anywhere in this town I live in and not be a stones throw away from a sign that says "now hiring". Everyone is hiring so it's all too easy to get a job right now (or a lot easier than it normally is). There isn't an excuse why you can't find a job if you put in a resume or fill out an application at all these places that are looking.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$709
Winbux
$0.00
I'm just curious when the bubble will pop, when people have debt to pay, no money because they held out on getting a job and work starts to get tight again.

You said it. I don't think the movement will last forever. Money will run out. Bills will pile up and people will be forced out of their homes looking for work in order to get a pay check to support themselves.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$709
Winbux
$0.00
There is already a looming threat on renters being forced out here in the states in the coming months.

Yeah. I think mass evictions are going to hit pretty hard in New York and other places. Because thousands of people have sat back and gotten a free ride. Looks like this is coming back to haunt them. Personally I wouldn't want a tenant not paying me rent if I owned a duplex or an apartment complex. I have needs too.

I remember when the first lock down occurred. Management approached me before the rent was due and handed me a paper that they were giving out. It said that we still had to pay rent or face eviction. Apparently a lot of people were getting evicted already because they were laid off. I paid my rent anyway.

I heard horror stories about landlords in my hometown running off tenants. Cutting the power to their trailer or breaking a window and calling the sheriff and getting them evicted. They were using loop holes left and right to throw people off of their property.

There's an old saying: "If you don't pay, you don't stay."

For roughly 16 months, the city’s renters have been shielded from eviction under broad protections imposed by the federal government and New York State to keep people in their homes during the coronavirus outbreak.

But those safeguards are soon expected to come to an end, setting off alarms about the fate of struggling tenants who owe months of unpaid rent, cannot make their next payments and could face homelessness.

Nearly 500,000 households in New York City have rent arrears that collectively total more than $2.2 billion, according to an analysis of census data by the National Equity Atlas, a research group associated with the University of Southern California.

The Biden administration has extended the moratorium on evictions for another month, giving people who can’t pay their rent due to the pandemic more time to make other arrangements and get government assistance.

The eviction moratorium was set to expire June 30. The extension now delays that until July 31, but this extension will be the last one, Biden said.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
What are your thoughts towards the "No One Wants To Work" Movement?
I wonder if this is area specific. Yesterday where I live, they had a huge job fair. There were over 20 different businesses that setup and were taking applications. My friend went and told me the line to get in was around the building. She got in finally and submitted her resume to over 10 businesses. Today, she got a call back from 6 of them offering her a job. She starts work Monday.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
In my town, no matter where you are, you are a stones throw away from a place that is hiring. There's no reason why you can't get here because of all the places that are hiring.

Lee

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,040
Winbux
$0.00
Everybody deserves to make a fair living.

I absolutely disagree that store workers should be paid as minimum wage workers. They have one of the most important jobs in the country, keeping us all fed. Just because they didn’t go to school or learn a trade doesn’t give us the right to belittle their work.

Where I live, refuse collectors get £14.00 an hour - that is an unskilled job, are they over paid too?

Everybody in full time work deserves to earn enough to support their family.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,379
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
It's crazy that this is still happening!! Where I live a lot of shops and restaurants are closed many days because they can't get enough people to work! I thought that the extra unemployment was supposed to end this month so maybe things will pick up again?