Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Physical or Digital copy?

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
When it comes to video games. Do you get the disc version or do you download it from PSN, XBOX LIVE, STEAM etc?

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
I prefer digital. It's more convenient for me as there is no need to go to the shops when I can download it from my fingertips. Unlike discs, electronic copies of video games can't be damaged or lost which is a huge advantage for me.

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
I normally just get the digital version and download it. I never buy physical anymore for myself.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
It depends, if it comes with some extra content like Etrian Odyssey i could consider getting Physical :p

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I prefer to have physical copies myself. I do have quite the digital collection of games though, because sometimes publishers give out extra stuff on digital only copies as opposed to physical ones. (I honestly hate when they do that though...) I like having the cases displayed on my gaming shelf, plus it's much faster to install the game to the hard drive via a disc rather than waiting for it to download. (My PS4 isn't nearby our router, so I have to rely on wifi to download anything... which quite sucks. :V)

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I prefer digital. Effortless switching between games has always been the biggest draw from me. Before this I had also owned 3 copies of Assassin's Creed 2 because the disk broke for one reason or another and it was my favorite game at the time.

I also just lost my place to a natural disaster and because everything I had was digital, I just needed to replace the hardware and not the 30+ individual games. And that's just the console games.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Do you prefer Physical or Digital copies of video games and why?

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Many years ago it was physical, yes it was pretty much physical copies, going out to a store and looking at games to buy then take it home and install it using the old-style ways. I did it mostly since my internet was so expensive and bad that would take me weeks to download a simple game and it was just as fast and cheap to get physical.

I got Mudrunner that was a disc game that turns out to be a steam disc game, also GTAV on the disc set. I still have some of the physical box set :) When I had a far better internet connection and it was unlimited and speeds are good then I fully moved over to digital copies :) and now it's all digital, I have not brought discs in over 6 years or more.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I prefer physical. Digital games are yours as much as Netflix movies are. You pay to access the game, but the game belongs to its copyright owner. Once he/she decides not to provide you the game anymore it is gone. That's why I prefer physical media.

Oblivion Knight

Eat. Sleep. Game. Repeat.
Reaction score
Website
umbrella-online.co.uk
Hubux
$1,980
Winbux
$1.00
I feel there's positives with both, but certainly in terms of archival purposes then surely physical media remains to have a place, unless developers remove the DRM from digital counterparts which seems unlikely.