Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Progessive Web Apps?

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
What are your thoughts on PWA's? Do you think they're still relevant and useful? Xenforo 2.2 will bring PWA support so users can install an 'app' for your website on their home screen and have it open in a wrapper that looks like a traditional app for your phone rather than within a browser like Chrome...... However, Apple doesn't seem to think PWA are worth anything.....and it's one reason I'm strongly considering moving back to Android.......what are you thoughts?

DudeThatsErin

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$897
Winbux
$0.00
I think they are cool but a lot of them don’t work with the current updates. With new updates where they work on all screen sizes, PWAs could be amazing.

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah they really do have the potential to be amazing, it kinda sucks that Apple doesn't want to support them to be honest. That leaves out a large chunk of the market for them because Apple has to be Apple and think they're 'innovating' technology...........

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I'm not going to lie, I don't understand what PWA's are for. It's essentially the same experience as visiting the site on a mobile browser so I don't see the benefit of installing a PWA

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I'm not going to lie, I don't understand what PWA's are for. It's essentially the same experience as visiting the site on a mobile browser so I don't see the benefit of installing a PWA

It's a slightly better look and puts an icon on your phone, so it could help getting people back to your site.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Outside of getting a shortcut on your home screen (which should still be doable with a browser) I agree with Ash, don't really see much point in them so never really use them myself. I think I do have them enabled on my forum in case others want to use them though... but I could be wrong.