Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Public Humiliation

MrDawn

Moderation Director
Reaction score
Hubux
$680
Winbux
$0.00
Do you think public humiliation is an effective means to teach someone a lesson?

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I don't like it. Unless they're some sort of twat like a paedo or a murderer.

Shows that push people to share their family issues on TV are just not good. We had a similar one called Jeremy Kyle that I actually liked watching from time to time. They cancelled it a little while ago after someone that was on the show committed suicide. Made me realise how bad the show was.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I don't believe in doing that. I think that's just going to make that person resent you instead of learning a the intended lesson. Especially if you do it again and again and again.

Bobby Cole

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,806
Winbux
$0.00
How about let’s just call it what it really is……bullying.
It’s a given that since Jerry Springer and Judge Judy hit the air, more and more shows have come on board just to sensationalize bullying and human ignorance.

The thing I’m most concerned about is that people seem to like watching such trash just as they will stop and whip out the cameras when there’s an altercation on some street or sidewalk.
Granted, the everyday John Doe doesn’t have any control over what happens on the airways but just to stand by and watch instead of stepping in when someone is being beaten, or verbally abused out in public is mind bending.

Note: Now, I’m not talking about when a parent swats a child’s rear end for acting up for most certainly, whenever and wherever a child does mischief then I’m all for correcting them on the spot.
That said, there’s a fine line between public abuse and correction.

Lee

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,040
Winbux
$0.00
How about let’s just call it what it really is……bullying.
It’s a given that since Jerry Springer and Judge Judy hit the air, more and more shows have come on board just to sensationalize bullying and human ignorance.

The thing I’m most concerned about is that people seem to like watching such trash just as they will stop and whip out the cameras when there’s an altercation on some street or sidewalk.
Granted, the everyday John Doe doesn’t have any control over what happens on the airways but just to stand by and watch instead of stepping in when someone is being beaten, or verbally abused out in public is mind bending.

Note: Now, I’m not talking about when a parent swats a child’s rear end for acting up for most certainly, whenever and wherever a child does mischief then I’m all for correcting them on the spot.
That said, there’s a fine line between public abuse and correction.
Hitting a child is abuse no matter what the child has done.

Would you correct another adults behaviour by hitting them?

Bobby Cole

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,806
Winbux
$0.00
Hitting a child is abuse no matter what the child has done.

Would you correct another adults behaviour by hitting them?
When it comes to defending another person from being bullied, I have indeed interceded not once, but a few times throughout my life and by whatever measures one must take to do so.
And….if you wish to call it “correction” I have indeed corrected an individual who tried to break into my home and then corrected him again when he tried to get back up after being corrected the first time.
Also, if it counts, I am a military combat veteran so there was a time when I corrected many men for trying to kill me.
On the street where we live, I have corrected drug dealers, pimps and ne’er-do-wells on a few occasions so children can play and be kids and we can live in peace.

Now, about child rearing, I am very familiar with physical abuse and know the difference between abuse and correction.
I know the difference between a pat on the back of the hand of a child grabbing candy bars off a store shelf versus a slap on the face.
I know the difference between a pat on the rear end of a child versus being beaten.
I personally know what a power drunk parent can do to a child versus one who loves his child.

To be sure, I need not be lectured by anyone about how to rear a child for indeed, at nearly 73 years old, I remember well all of the differences because I have experienced them on a level that you would not even be able to fathom.

In short, you have your opinion about the matter and I have mine so let us just leave it at that.

Last edited:

Lee

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,040
Winbux
$0.00
When it comes to defending another person from being bullied, I have indeed interceded not once, but a few times throughout my life and by whatever measures one must take to do so.
And….if you wish to call it “correction” I have indeed corrected an individual who tried to break into my home and then corrected him again when he tried to get back up after being corrected the first time.
Also, if it counts, I am a military combat veteran so there was a time when I corrected many men for trying to kill me.
On the street where we live, I have corrected drug dealers, pimps and ne’er-do-wells on a few occasions so children can play and be kids and we can live in peace.

Now, about child rearing, I am very familiar with physical abuse and know the difference between abuse and correction.
I know the difference between a pat on the back of the hand of a child grabbing candy bars off a store shelf versus a slap on the face.
I know the difference between a pat on the rear end of a child versus being beaten.
I personally know what a power drunk parent can do to a child versus one who loves his child.

To be sure, I need not be lectured by anyone about how to rear a child for indeed, at nearly 73 years old, I remember well all of the differences because I have experienced them on a level that you would not even be able to fathom.

In short, you have your opinion about the matter and I have mine so let us just leave it at that.

Talk about patronizing. "On a level you would not even be able to fathom." - On which of my life experiences (or lack there of in your eyes) are you basing this opinion of yours...?

I am 35 years old, with 4 children of my own - I am not a teenager at a computer that can be pressured and spoken down too by an older person. I have my own share of life experiences - and while I might not be 73 years experienced, with all due respect, you know nothing about my life and what I may or may not of experienced.

Back to the point of contention. Hitting an adult as a method of "correction" is still assault. Restraining a person for their own protection is not "correcting" a persons behavior with violence - but, if you walk up to some drug dealers and assault them to "correct" their behavior, that makes you no better than them. For clarity, and because no doubt it will crop up, I am not insinuating that a person cannot defend themselves. If you are being attacked, assaulted yourself or abused yourself, physical retaliation is then a logical and unavoidable next step.

Physically striking a person, for any reason = assault.
Physically striking a person, for any reason with no way to defend themselves (aka a child) = abuse.

It doesn't matter how you try and sugar coat it.

Bobby Cole

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,806
Winbux
$0.00
Talk about patronizing. "On a level you would not even be able to fathom." - On which of my life experiences (or lack there of in your eyes) are you basing this opinion of yours...?

I am 35 years old, with 4 children of my own - I am not a teenager at a computer that can be pressured and spoken down too by an older person. I have my own share of life experiences - and while I might not be 73 years experienced, with all due respect, you know nothing about my life and what I may or may not of experienced.

Back to the point of contention. Hitting an adult as a method of "correction" is still assault. Restraining a person for their own protection is not "correcting" a persons behavior with violence - but, if you walk up to some drug dealers and assault them to "correct" their behavior, that makes you no better than them. For clarity, and because no doubt it will crop up, I am not insinuating that a person cannot defend themselves. If you are being attacked, assaulted yourself or abused yourself, physical retaliation is then a logical and unavoidable next step.

Physically striking a person, for any reason = assault.
Physically striking a person, for any reason with no way to defend themselves (aka a child) = abuse.

It doesn't matter how you try and sugar coat it.
Your life. Your opinion.