Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Quit a website

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
What makes you quit a website in a split-second?

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
When it comes to using a free forum software, I was always a fan of Forumotion and Zetaboards. I still am a fan of the Forumotion but I'm not a fan of Zetaboards anymore. A while back, Zetaboards merged with Tapatalk and that's when I quite being a fan of Zetaboards. When the merge happened, I didn't like ZB anymore so they dropped off my radar completely.

So, when I quit a site.....it's usually over something like this. When they make a change that upsets it's customers/community.....

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$725
Winbux
$0.00
I quit a forum that was being advertised on Forum Promotion years ago. 2 of the staff members kept locking up my posts, deleting them, or sending me messages that accused me of spamming the board. I hadn't been on their board but for 2 days before I left. However, it seems their forum shuts down. SO I imagine I wasn't the only having an issue out of that board.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Autoplay ads and videos, especially when they cover content.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I quit a forum that was being advertised on Forum Promotion years ago. 2 of the staff members kept locking up my posts, deleting them, or sending me messages that accused me of spamming the board. I hadn't been on their board but for 2 days before I left. However, it seems their forum shuts down. SO I imagine I wasn't the only having an issue out of that board.

Yeah, that would definitely make me leave. I hate it when people accuse you of doing something you aren't doing.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Autoplay ads and videos, especially when they cover content.
Lol yep crap like this annoys me, or those overlays that force you to subscribe to the newsletter to see the content.
Some of these have workarounds on the desktop if you use uBlock or Stylus, but sometimes it just becomes more trouble than it's worth. I'm not sure how you could work around them on mobile.

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
What makes you quit a website in a split-second?
Lack of willingness to render reasonable accommodations and bearing the "we aren't gonna do that" attitude to add salts to injuries.

Even when someone else requested on the Forum Pormotion site they did just that. ?

As soon as I finish the current ad run with one of the persons of @Bizdustry.com I am going to "recycle" ForumPromotion for being like that. No wonder why I felt so "not so included" with that forum...

It's obviously added up now and therefore notified Alexander of the incident too...

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
It has never happened to me as of yet for six years even that at times I do get those moments.
  1. Lack of support and powers in the person to do it like needs to be interested
  2. Money and the cost of running the site is no longer there
  3. admin being pulled down all the time to the point that anyone can rage
  4. bored so bad that left it anyway till the host expires
There are more reasons that go on, I mean many gave up on one but started another forum.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
dark theme.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

FriendlyPerson

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
annoying images
I know right? There's nothing even funny about those flashy images that very well induce all sorts of neurological issues (e.g. seizures).

Thus I also expect the site to maintain decently in avatars and such so these can be prevented.

getting email alerts to all my replies
Quite annoying which is why I always check if there are ways to turn these off. If not then I am leaving said site.

the site doesn't have a dark theme.
I am not THAT strict, as long as the theme is done in decently for contrasts and such and that I am not straining as a result then I would say they got a decent start.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
If I'm hit with a barrage of advertisements when I first visit the site, I will nope out of them extremely quickly. There are some sites that use JavaScript to block certain actions and that annoys me quite a bit as well.

Other than that, the staff on a forum. I've seen a few forums where the owner is rude and just dismissive and I don't see how anyone can enjoy that.

FriendlyPerson

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Other than that, the staff on a forum. I've seen a few forums where the owner is rude and just dismissive and I don't see how anyone can enjoy that.
Not to mention if the staff make little efforts to assist you with issues and concerns. I reported a content that I thought was illegal and slanderous contents to me and my business and they basically said "I was on my own" and rejected them.

HolisticStorm

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$678
Winbux
$0.00
I've had several experiences in the past where several unfriendly people would come to a smaller community, and the owner would be hesitant to talk to them about their behavior because of the activity they were bringing to the site. That made me leave.

FriendlyPerson

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
I've had several experiences in the past where several unfriendly people would come to a smaller community, and the owner would be hesitant to talk to them about their behavior because of the activity they were bringing to the site. That made me leave.
If they are the sole owner or a very small admin team this can be a real concern for themselves. In the future if you haven't attempted this it might pay to assist them to understand the importance of transparent operations. It might be very well that they are scared that if they would try their best to reason with their members and if needed proceed to enforce that their community will grinds to a halt.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
It's a definite issue and it's sometimes a hard decision for an admin to make, especially when they lack a large number of active users. Sometimes they will try to let certain things slide because they don't want to put anyone off from the forum.

FriendlyPerson

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
It's a definite issue and it's sometimes a hard decision for an admin to make, especially when they lack a large number of active users. Sometimes they will try to let certain things slide because they don't want to put anyone off from the forum.
I mean logically it's easy, you break the rules then actions should be done. Whether that's intervention to the member, warning, punishments, etc.

My general personal policy is that when I would be like running a game server (and thinking of doing it again in fact), my business or what not. I would try to reason with the member/player/etc, explain more clearly what they done wrong, etc. Then ban if they countiunes over and over again in a short period of time. As I understand craps do happen with mental, neurological, developmential, processing and other conditions and other situations in general, that they just need HELP. Whether to actually follows the rules, to do what they want in a rule abiding manner, to be included, etc.

I think really though the issue with those admins might be that they don't understand themselves that quantity does not equal quality and that it okay to give them the "boot" if they tries to intentionally "abuse their powers".

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Definitely. We tend to have a similar policy over here at Discussion Hub especially with the most relaxed/chilled out environment we strive for. Depending on what they do, we provide warnings first and if there is no improvement in the behaviour of the user, a ban will be given out. Fortunately, it's not something we've had to deal with so far.