Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Still wearing that cloth mask?

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
The experts are finally coming out to reveal what we've known all along, the cloth masks really aren't effective. Do you still wear a cloth mask?

The new guidance is leaning toward N95s or K95s and those are hard to come by except for the knock offs from China. I'm not sure why production wasn't ramped up from the beginning when we knew that N95s were desirable.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Never wore cloth facemask, only N95 for obvious reasons.. and i never had covid until now. :p

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I've never worn a cloth mask. The Federal Government (which my job falls under its jurisdiction) supplied my place of employment with N95 masks. My boss, let my coworker and I have a box to take home.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I wear a triple layered cloth mask with a carbon paper filter - I wonder if that is any more efficient....?
I don't really think so, but it's a little bit more effective than wearing a normal one. I know there are washable masks around with filters, have you tried any of those?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I wear a triple layered cloth mask with a carbon paper filter - I wonder if that is any more efficient....?
Are washable mask filters good?

Reusable masks, especially those with effective filters included, are generally the best option for people who don't work in the healthcare field. They're better for the environment, tend to be more comfortable, come in a variety of styles, and offer good protection and filtration, especially with filters included.

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
Never had a cloth mask, they just never seemed like they would be likely to stop anything much, but surely they are still more effective than no mask at all?

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
Never had a cloth mask, they just never seemed like they would be likely to stop anything much, but surely they are still more effective than no mask at all?

Depends. I mean the neck gaiters were shown to actually spew the aerosols further making things worse. Regular cloth masks, prior to omicron variant, only gave a 10-12% protection (but is that for you or your neighbor). Remember that the masks were only supposed to protect those around you, not yourself. The N95s are the ones that actually protect YOU which is why they should start telling people who are most at risk to wear them.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$725
Winbux
$0.00
I have to wear a mask a lot. It's asking for trouble if you don't. People will get offended. Where I work customers don't like talking to us without a mask. A lot of public places demand that you wear one in the stores.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I have to wear a mask a lot. It's asking for trouble if you don't. People will get offended. Where I work customers don't like talking to us without a mask. A lot of public places demand that you wear one in the stores.

That's because the media and government has put such a sense of fear in them and led them to believe they're contributing to the stop of the virus by wearing them. But those cloths have been proven to not be effective, it's just that the news isn't too big on reporting that.

MrDawn

Cosmic Wizard
Reaction score
Hubux
$725
Winbux
$0.00
That's because the media and government has put such a sense of fear in them and led them to believe they're contributing to the stop of the virus by wearing them. But those cloths have been proven to not be effective, it's just that the news isn't too big on reporting that.
Often the mask fails because of cross contamination. I see it all of the time.