Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

The 50 minute Windows update

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
Only a few days ago my computer was forced to do a Windows update and of course I was wanting to get ready for bed and didn't expect it to last 50 minutes and have 4 restarts! I wish Windows updates would give us an approximate time span that it would take to install. Plus after that I had trouble on start ups for 2 days and had to do a hard shut down before Windows even loaded because nothing was happening.

Anyone else have a hard time with this latest one?

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
Those are big updates with additional features. They require several restarts, sometimes you must choose some new options before it can finish everything. I updated 6 computers last week and two had such big update. Those updates are not often so I think we are in piece for few months.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$432
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
My pc at work was the same, i never experienced something similar, not even when Service Packs were installed.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
What version of Windows 10 you use? I have special Pro Education and on few other computers Enterprise. Looks some versions got it often, some rarely.
For my mine desktop, I go all the way :) to pro. If you have good fast downloads speeds and OS on SSD shouldn't take that long.

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
I haven't yet updated to the available one that is ready to download, but the most recent updat eI did, did take close to an hour I think. Longest wait in my life, when not doing a blanket fresh install from a version that needs more than a years worth of updates.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
It's 2020 and most PC nowadays runs off SSDs and if not M.2 drives

MAybe time to upgrade

Even I am partialy have obligation keeping all computers being functional, about upgrades I don't decide. Other colleague and boss decide about it. Some computers are more than 6 years old. On some is better run XP and not Win 10.

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
Then again, not all programs have been updated to work with Windows 10, let alone be functional on the same speed. There are some programs that becomes resource intensive, with updates, because of how Windows 10 works.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I'm still having a long boot up and shut down after that 50 minute update and I have eliminated a lot of things from my Start Up to no avail. I don't need all the extras that Microsoft thinks I need and I wish I could have the option to say NO to some of the things they're doing to my system. It's not all about security.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I've noticed that the Windows updates haven't been too bad for my personal and work laptop recently. I remember it being extremely slow on my old laptop which I hated. Like yours, it would take 50+ minutes to update and go through multiple restarts which was extremely annoying!

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I do recall that one of my laptops literally took all day to update after I first bought it. It also slowed the laptop down too, so I ended up having to rollback the update which caused other issues. >_> I just ultitmately did a clean install, and got a USB drive and added Lubuntu to it. The laptop is fine now since I did a fresh install and turned off automatic updates. I don't use that laptop often anymore though, I only use it to play D&D with my friends.

bestwriter

Leader among Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
grouie.blogspot.com
Hubux
$501
Winbux
$5.00
I have disabled it and yet occasionally I am trapped and recently I see Windows 11 being downloaded. I put off the computer and load again. I do not want Windows 11