Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Who has built a computer?

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
How much did it cost to do? How much work? Where did you get the parts? Was it easy, hard, so, so? How would you compare the result to something pre-made?

O.K., who has just considered building a computer? What are your reasons?

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
The desktop that my hubby and I have is one that my hubby built himself. He's never bought a pre-built computer, he's always built one himself. He says they put a bunch of stupid, worthless crap on those pre-built jobs. Plus, when he builds his own, he can build it the way he wants it depending on what he wants it to do or what he expects out of it. I can't remember how much he spent building it though.

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I built my own PC, it was a lot easier than I first thought, my advice would be to just dive in, if you have issues Google and Youtube are your best friends.

I got my parts from Scan.

Prebuilts are okay depending on what you're using it for but I'd 100% say build your own, you can choose every component and save money, its a win win.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,346
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
My husband used to like building computers and our first one cost a lot because I wanted a flat screen monitor and 30 years ago that was costly. Our first computer cost us over $2,000. We both worked at the time and money was good so it was worth it. I'm glad he got me into computers that many years ago because I learned so much!

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I built my system on my end :) I part all the parts then easy to put it together then play around with the updates and overclocking the system to get it how I wanted it to do :)

By building your own, you know what you have done and if something goes wrong you know what you have done and aim to track back and see what you have or might have done wrong. I always loved doing it myself and never pre-order a pc. The PC that I got is around $3200 or more in USD. Even in college years used to build and put together old PC and get them to work :)

Build your own is cheaper in a way :)

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I built my system on my end :) I part all the parts then easy to put it together then play around with the updates and overclocking the system to get it how I wanted it to do :)

By building your own, you know what you have done and if something goes wrong you know what you have done and aim to track back and see what you have or might have done wrong. I always loved doing it myself and never pre-order a pc. The PC that I got is around $3200 or more in USD. Even in college years used to build and put together old PC and get them to work :)

Build your own is cheaper in a way :)

3,200 is a lot of money, i wonder if you have the newest ryzen 9 5950x or something lol

On the other hand, i had a pre-built computer back in the 90s (IBM) and then no more. It's always better to pick your components by yourself, you can control and manage how much you want to spend on your system.

It wasn't hard at all back in the day and it isn't today, now it's even easier since there's a lot more space in the computer case to manage your cables a lot better and give a more presentable look to your pc.

In any case, if you still feel lost, there's a lot of videos in youtube that features almost every component in the market now and you can always take a look at them if it's hard. Myself i spend a lot of time figuring out the most effective cooling flow in the case since makes a lot of difference in today's temperature, is not a luxury anymore to have a good airflow.

and that's that.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
3,200 is a lot of money, i wonder if you have the newest ryzen 9 5950x or something lol
In total $3369.27 however, that's with Monitor, Router, keyboard and whatnot ;) The Desktop itself it's like $2.600 USD :) It's all on the PCpartpicker site, I just have not made it public. I went with i7 10700K :)

With any PC, once you buy and have it, soon it's old and outdated and something new is out and better. But at times wait for two or more gens to get something worth upgrading then upgrading each year.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
In total $3369.27 however, that's with Monitor, Router, keyboard and whatnot ;) The Desktop itself it's like $2.600 USD :) It's all on the PCpartpicker site, I just have not made it public. I went with i7 10700K :)

With any PC, once you buy and have it, soon it's old and outdated and something new is out and better. But at times wait for two or more gens to get something worth upgrading then upgrading each year.
Nice, what's your GPU? i heard that the 10700k has pretty good benchmarks, i suppose you invested on a good cooling system so you can overclock your cpu right? :p

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Nice, what's your GPU? i heard that the 10700k has pretty good benchmarks, i suppose you invested on a good cooling system so you can overclock your cpu right? :p
Goes to 5.2ghz but at normal times 4.8ghz :) with AIO corsair h115i. Downsized that I'm using a 1660TI - Very good card that can do High max setting however limited to the fact that it's a 6gb card and nowadays games is DX12 high demanding, Wish that I had a 3000 series :)