Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Yearly sports game

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I think a lot of people like to make fun of it but companies like EA make a lot of money from simple releasing yearly sports games. Do you hate when developers do this? Or do you not mind it that much?

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
This, CoD, battlefield and others are kind of shameful. Given how technology is, they should just release one game per console and keep it updated through DLC.
I guess if you have enough people buying it (myself included), there is no reason for them to change this winning formula. Battlefield messed up massively this year though which is going to cost them a bit with the next release as well

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,469
Winbux
$0.00
I’m not into sports, nor do I play sports games, so this doesn’t affect me at all.

I don’t see why I should be offended or annoyed at EA etc for making money if people constantly buy these annual releases. Shouldn’t you hate the player and not the game?

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I guess if you have enough people buying it (myself included), there is no reason for them to change this winning formula. Battlefield messed up massively this year though which is going to cost them a bit with the next release as well

Yeah, seems like even battlefield friends is having issues making episodes out of the game.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,054
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I understand why they did in the past, pre-online gaming, but in this day and age it makes more sense to release "EA FC" (since they're not FIFA anymore) and then have a yearly pass you can buy that adds new kits, moves players around, deals with promotions, relegation, etc, same with NHL, NFL, etc. The yearly releases are sort of pointless, the cash spinners are the ultimate teams everyone spends a fortune on, anyway, so they might as well just release one game and keep it updated.

I think game series like Assassin's Creed, CoD, BattleField, etc. that became yearly releases really overdid things, they should release one game maybe every 3 years or so (IMO), but I know they like to use different developers for each release, so technically it is a game developed over 3 or so years, but they all feel the same, not much change (granted, haven't touched one in a fair few years now). They need to give these series a break, let them fade from peoples' minds a bit and then come back with something new and interesting.

Scott

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,043
Winbux
$0.00
I have already given up on EA's FIFA games. It's a games that full of crap. They just make copies of the game every year without any changes. It's just graphics they upgrade on the game and nothing more.