Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Do you feel hosting prices are reasonable?

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
Nowadays, do you feel hosting prices are reasonable? Why or why not? On your web-hosting plan, has your subscription been through many price hikes over the years? Are you considering switching to another or having a look around the market?

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Nowadays, do you feel hosting prices are reasonable? Why or why not? On your web-hosting plan, has your subscription been through many price hikes over the years? Are you considering switching to another or having a look around the market?

They are more reasonable that it was ages ago but still i think we need better prices, at least in space and bandwith.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
It can be, but at the end of the day, you have to spend allot of hours and working out the best deals that you can get. I have been lucky yo able to have a hosting server for 6 years and able to get discounts two times for 3 years contract. 65% off deal and that does save you money in the long run.

What I don't like that they offer a good price to new people but after you been with them for 3 years or maybe longer than 10 years when you have to renew you're hosting it doesn't come cheap and you have no deal and pay the full cost.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Hosting prices are a lot more reasonable now than they were a few years back. With so many companies out there fighting each other, you're almost always guaranteed a great price as long as you spend a bit of time looking around.

The only thing I hate is that you have to move around a bit to keep getting the great prices.

TopSilver

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,755
Winbux
$0.00
My web hosting I host my site on is great on speed and uptime and also cheap. My web host Host Rush offers cheap hosting regardless of any deals but I found them on webhostingtalk when I got it started about 3 years ago and the deal I get is incredible. I only pay about $88/year for a VPS with 8 gb ram, 4 cores, and around 75 gb disk space. It's unmanaged but that works for me because I usually don't require anyones help running my site. There is 1 person working support but they still do a great job of responding to tickets fairly quickly.

On the downside I don't pay for cPanel as it costs more then double what I pay for hosting on a VPS. I used cPanel/WHM for a very long time but recently decided to give virtualmin/webmin a try and have not regretted it since. Backups and so forth are easy to setup and it's been working for me for the past almost 2 years.

As for the topic of the thread, are hosting prices reasonable? Not every host I will say that. And don't get me wrong, just because a host isn't giving you as good as I deal as mine does not mean they aren't being reasonable. Examples of not being reasonable would be companies like Blue Host who charge a fortune to even have a shared server. I can see how prices may be a bit higher on VPS but the one thing I've learned fairly quickly in the web hosting department is if you are charging out the back end for shared then the host more then likely isn't as good. Shared should always include cPanel (because it's not extra) and softaculous or another auto script installer. It should also include some form of Cloudflare.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I think the problem with a lot of the more common hosting sites like Blue Host is that they target the inexperienced. They want to entice people that have never built a site before or need to create their first site for their business. Those people are less likely to search around for other hosting services. And they're less likely to understand the more technical terms.

TopSilver

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,755
Winbux
$0.00
Yes @Ash and that can actually work if you are popular like Blue Host and Host Gator. They do get fairly good business regardless of the price. I just think they overcharge. I've noticed many people don't feel safe with hosts that are newer or cheaper. Still, what I have experienced over the years is there are loads of cheap web hosts that actually are indeed professional in every way, managed and unmanaged hosts.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Very true. I'm on a relatively cheap host, although I'm not sure if they count as a smaller host (InterServer). The price is great and the service that they provide is even better. When I first started purchasing hosting, Go Daddy was one of my first options and they were honestly awful compared to InterServer.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Hosting has always been cheap, from free to reasonable low prices, but most who wanted them couldn't afford them nor a way to actually pay for it.
shared are cheap then VPS and whatnot. at times it cost more for the security of the site and the backup software. Who uses that.

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I think recently hosting has been pretty reasonable. I remember when I first started making forums hosting was a bit too expensive for my tastes and that's why I went with free hosting back then. (Though granted this was back in 2009.) Though it really depends on what hosting you need, any game server hosting is going to cost more than shared hosting for a website of course.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
I feel my price was reasonable for what I got. Nonetheless, tough times, had caused me to go to way cheaper hosting for awhile, at least until things are better. Anyway, ideally speaking, I'd rather have a VPS or server, but am willing to settle for very cheap reseller hosting now.