Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Do you trust self driving vehicles?

Welcome! You have been invited by The Hulk to join our community. Please click here to register.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Unless the rest of the population uses self driving vehicles too I don't think I would completely trust it. Perhaps, if there were designated lanes for auto-pilot cars then I could learn to trust those. How do you feel about self driving cars?

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,504
Winbux
$0.00
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
I agree. There needs to be certain lanes for the self driving cars. It's very difficult to predict what other drivers may do, and I don't think current self driving cars have the ability to adapt to different condition fast enough to avoid a wreck.

Kyng

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,256
Winbux
$0.00
Well, they don't need to be perfect: they just need to be better than human drivers. Which is a pretty low bar, to be honest :p .

I don't think the technology is quite there yet; however, I can see it being there in the not-too-distant future.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
My thoughts are that they'd make for a good taxi service, and maybe also work well as a mobility service. I'm especially thinking that drunk people would be less inclined or able to drink-drive with automated cars, but also for elderly or disabled people it could allow for some independence too?

Maybe if they could create a hybrid system where it's possible to drive manually and then make it automated I would find it appealing, as it would make life much easier if you were tired or stuck in traffic and such. I just don't like the diminished responsibility it entails, I'd much rather see a human behind the wheel wherever possible.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$779
Winbux
$0.00
Nope, I would say give it another 50 years, it will take a lot of data and programming to make it perfect. Not to mention adjustment to roads.

I definitely agree. I think this technology needs a lot more time and better AI before it's put out on the market. I think rushing it is not a good idea.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I think that Nascar or F1 would be a great proving ground. An autonomous car should be able to destroy us fallable humans. Would be a great spectacle, learning experience and amazing proof of concept.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
To be honest, no! Well, I might be a chicken but I just really don't trust it. I think most can see why.

Well, here is some food for thought: If a self-driving car causes trouble, is the owner to blame? ;)

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
I probably trust them just as much as I trust human drivers that I don't actually know.

There are a lot of truly terrible drivers out there, and they are subject to tiredness, emotions, stress, alcohol and many other intoxicating substances.

StormyFire

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$616
Winbux
$0.00
Self-driving vehicles may be viable in the future, but from what I've seen, the technology just isn't there yet. I wouldn't trust them not to hurt anybody or anything.

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,504
Winbux
$0.00
Nope, I would say give it another 50 years, it will take a lot of data and programming to make it perfect. Not to mention adjustment to roads.
Yes of course. Just don't let the A.I. start to think for you! hehe

Mimi

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,039
Winbux
$0.00
Telsa is doing great with their inventing of such cars but it's not something that I would trust outrightly for now. It's still going to be flawed and open to vulnerability. Give it 10-20 more years ,then I can trust it.

Drac Morbis

Lord Malleus
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
session9.net
Hubux
$1,504
Winbux
$0.00
I like the concept in the movie "Minority Report" where all the cars are on a computerized track so no accidents. Or, you can get a manually driven car. But for the most part, everything is computer guided mass transit.

Heatman

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$952
Winbux
$0.00
I'm all for technology and self driving cars are awesome. Although the car is high cost effective to own. The car battery is very expensive. Also no enough charging spots all over the world. But I would like to have one.

Shortie

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,222
Winbux
$0.00
I wouldn't trust a self-driving car at all unless I knew it was 100% safe to drive and use the self-driving function. We already get way too many accidents with people who drive cars without self-driving so I could only imagine what it would be like if we started getting more and more self-driving cars out on the road. If there were dedicated roads for self-driving cars only then I may consider it but I would always have my worries.

MYC

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1
Winbux
$0.00
Hong Kong is a crowded city with lots of transportation and people. No, I don't think self-driving cars are safe here. Having a designated lane would help.