Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

How to handle rude students?

Shavkat

Hubber Wall of Fame
Reaction score
Website
stevengeelikes.blogspot.com
Hubux
$0
Winbux
$2.00
Some experts say that they should be ignored. In my book, we should address the rudeness before it becomes a habit. We need to cut the horns on their foreheads before they can be controlled.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,446
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I was a sub and often met with rude students...but for the most part, they wanted the attention. The class clown wanted to be laughed at. The lonely kid wanted someone to care. The bully...wanted others to stop bullying him, which often happens, setting him off into hostility.

Some mild comments should be ignored and the class should just move forward. But the really bad things need to be dealt with by sending the student to the Principal and writing down on the sheet for the teacher to see when he/she returned. As a sub, it wasn't up to me to give out punishment except to try to stop some situations as necessary.

I also learned that if I gave the kids (mostly boys...and mostly 9th graders) a few minutes of my attention before the start of every class, that they behaved better. It meant starting class late, but after that I had no problems.

Ginger

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$0
Winbux
$0.00
I think you know better as you are teaching for many years and I have no experience of teaching