Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Is 32gb of RAM worth having?

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
I say that 16gb is your lowest amount for a gaming rig, then you go up form there ;)
You can still do fine with 8 GB. only Triple A titles are out of that scheme.

If you're going to upgrade from 0 it's not a good idea to buy only 8 GB though

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
8gb used to be fine years ago, but nowadays it's not. If you streaming and gaming in one PC then 16gb. If you doing high end gaming based then 16gb, if you do flight sims then over 16gb

Joshua Farrell

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$908
Winbux
$0.00
I would say it would be a good upgrade, if the rest of your hardware is capable of handling the extra load that comes with being able to use more ram. My slim desktop has a rated max ram of 16 GB, due to the hardware in it. If I were to replace the hardware, then I personally would love to have atleast 32 GB of ram.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I would say it would be a good upgrade, if the rest of your hardware is capable of handling the extra load that comes with being able to use more ram. My slim desktop has a rated max ram of 16 GB, due to the hardware in it. If I were to replace the hardware, then I personally would love to have atleast 32 GB of ram.

Yeah, i agree with this. If you pretend that your new hardware is future-proof.

_B_

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Website
voxgrid.net
Hubux
$596
Winbux
$0.00
It really does depend on what you set to do. Generally 8GB is sufficient and even for gaming. Probably 16GB for the more intense ones but 32GB... don't know what you're planning here lol

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
It really depends on what sort of titles you plan on playing. Most gamers can manage on 8GB and for those who are planning to play high-CPU video games, 16GB is recommended. One possible reason for installing 32GB RAM is to future-proof your machine, which means to "keep up with the future of video games".

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
It really depends on what sort of titles you plan on playing. Most gamers can manage on 8GB and for those who are planning to play high-CPU video games, 16GB is recommended. One possible reason for installing 32GB RAM is to future-proof your machine, which means to "keep up with the future of video games".

I'm seeing that videogames now use a ridiculous amount of VRAM and CPU, technologies are changing super fast.. i don't know if the concept of "future proof" sounds.. just a bunch of $ invested in a monster machine :p

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
I'm seeing that videogames now use a ridiculous amount of VRAM and CPU, technologies are changing super fast.. i don't know if the concept of "future proof" sounds.. just a bunch of $ invested in a monster machine :p

Over time, other components of the machine will become outdated too. Future-proofing doesn't really work, to be honest.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$415
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
Over time, other components of the machine will become outdated too. Future-proofing doesn't really work, to be honest.

Yeah, that's why i was never interested in spending 3 grand in a PC that 5 years later would cost only 1. The devaluation of top notch hardware is amazing..