Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Ask Me FriendlyPerson!

FriendlyPerson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
How much knowledge do you need to run a hosting business?
It's wildly varies depending on "how serious" you intend to take up with it. A "reseller" provider just literally need the admin and marketing down. While someone with a "unmanaged" VPS/dedi is gonna need sysadmin, security and so forth knowledge to boot.

Could someone with not much technical knowledge about servers and stuff run one?
Yes but let's be honest do you want to deal with someone who doesn't know how even DNS works to help fix your issues? Or someone more adept and knowledgeable in the field?

I may not be a seasoned sysadmin (thus why I opted for a Managed Service Provider (MSP)) But I am knowledgeable with web hosting itself, made the knowledge base articles and helped my few clients on multiple occasions. With only needing to contact the MSP twice for largely system level concerns.

Therefore I am not one of those "guys" where your waiting days because they got absolutely no ideas what's remotely up. :)

Reactions: Ash

FriendlyPerson

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Do you offer free accounts?
It's typical for hosts not to since it's a SPAM and abuse magnet as well as for generally attracting people who don't intend to actually renew on a paid basis. Resulting in a dysfunctional business in the end.

Thus are why I am not confident of such offerings.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Thanks for the explanation. There was a brief period where I was thinking of going down the reseller route but in the end, decided that it was best if I didn't.

Stay away from free hosting lol even for people you know. Just not worth it for your business.

FriendlyPerson

Reaction score
Hubux
$1,731
Winbux
$1.00
Thanks for the explanation. There was a brief period where I was thinking of going down the reseller route but in the end, decided that it was best if I didn't.
You are very welcomed and totally agrees which is partially why I don't even sell "reseller accounts".

I only wanna go that route if/when I have access to such resources such as providing those clientele the means to set themselves apart, business resources, included/discounted license(s) and so forth so it's actually set them up for success. :)

Stay away from free hosting lol even for people you know. Just not worth it for your business.
I could actually think a few ways which free hosting can work to a business's advantage, but yea offering it as a package is indeed a no brainer to not be doing for any sane business. Since it's more problems than it's worth.

It's all about setting expectations, making sure both parties will benefit and so forth before giving the prospect the chances.

I done this in the past when it was somewhat more accessible to be doing this for Minecraft and I gotten decent results (obviously it didn't end in successful run but it was still fun, I still liked those clients and so forth).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.