Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Charger an extra expense?

Nova

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$186
Winbux
$0.00
Apple has started selling the mobile phones without chargers. And the android phone makers are doing the same. And this has increased the cost of the device. I think this can be pretty bad experience for most of the mobile users. I don't see much chances of such would be making things easier.

Do you think such an extra expense would be good thing?

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I find it really bad! All phones should come with chargers free.

MrDawn

Cam's Bestie
Reaction score
Hubux
$734
Winbux
$0.00
I find it really bad! All phones should come with chargers free.

I agree. My phone came with a free charger and it's Total Wireless that I go through. I think Apple is just being greedy just because they know they can get away with it.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I'd rather buy my own high quality charger anyway, so the in box one is basically useless. Especially in the world of USB-PD, where one charger can be used for everything — why would I need every device to come with its own charger and languish unused? I can just buy my own GaN charger and be done with it.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
Well I don't think Apple's argument of "everyone already has chargers so we want to stop waste" is necessarily a poor argument, however I reckon in the future whenever they bring out a new port they still won't supply a charger on the grounds of "well we haven't supplied chargers in years, why would we now".
So their reasoning is actually kind of fair atm, but it's really just to warm people up long-term to the idea of buying chargers separately.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
It's honestly a massive piss take considering their "environment" argument breaks down pretty easily. Doesn't the latest iPhone need a different charger that most people don't already have? It's just an easy way for Apple to make money.

Hopefully, Samsung doesn't go down that route but they seem to want to copy Apple recently so you never know.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
It's honestly a massive piss take considering their "environment" argument breaks down pretty easily. Doesn't the latest iPhone need a different charger that most people don't already have? It's just an easy way for Apple to make money.

Hopefully, Samsung doesn't go down that route but they seem to want to copy Apple recently so you never know.
Yes, but that's the thing - most people who own iPhones will already have the charger, so they're (temporarily) correct. I have to stress though it is a matter of just being "temporarily" correct, I bet my kidneys they will change the charger again in the future and they will not provide it for free with the phones, and it's at that point the environment argument will break down because people won't have loads of these new chargers sitting around.

Of course, there are a lot of other things Apple could do if they truly cared about being eco-friendly, so they are full of it either way. And as far as I know, Samsung made fun of Apple over this but then stopped handing them out as well? I could be wrong, my S7 has lasted since 2017 so I don't know what Samsung's current stance on chargers is.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I have no idea what Samsung's current stance is but I do believe they will eventually do the same for their main phones. I would hate it but I feel like it would be less of an issue since they use USB-C cables and I think most people actually have loads of those.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
It is annoying that new devices don't come with chargers but it's not a deal breaker for me. I love the ability to charge wirelessly now. It's not as fast as being plugged straight into the wall or anything but it's good since I charge at night anyway and have at least 7 hours to charge (it doesn't usually take that long to charge anyway!)

Nous

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
gtaboards.com
Hubux
$1,186
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah, this is turning into a trend, everyone is ditching accessories and charging more for it. I mean, the prices of the phones keep going up. The logic just doesn't make sense.